Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Air pump clogged, disassemble and clean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air pump clogged, disassemble and clean?

So one of my cats has taken to sleeping on top of my airpump, he must like the vibrations or something.
    In the past week or so the number of bubbles has drastically decreased I think it has gotten clogged with cat hair.
    Has anyone taken apart an airfilter to clean it?
    how do they work, I dont see an air intake vent or anything on it.

is it realistic to think I can take it apart clean it and put it back together?

Re: Air pump clogged, disassemble and clean?

I'd like to know how this topic turns out......I'm guessing it might be possible to clean but not sure..?

CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Check out: http://www.planetrena.com/Aquarium-Air-Pump-FAQ.html
      Good luck...just remember there are no extra parts when you are done  :wink:
      215g Malawi Peacocks and Mbuna
      180g Tropheus Ikola and Bemba and Clown Loaches
      58g Bristlenose breeding and grow out

Comment

Most single & dual air pumps are of the same design.  But you might want to list the mfr & mdl#
        The electromagnet inside the pump pushes and pulls on a permanant magnet on the end of ametal arm.
        The arm is fixed on one end and the center is attached to a rubber bellows.
        the bellows is moved back (sucking in air) and forward (pushing out air)
        the bellows is mounded on a housing with two tiny rubber flappers (check valves)
        one will only let air in (room air) and the other will only let air out (pump outlet)
        there is no filter on any of the pumps I have seen.

Possible problems - the little flappers could get cloged or fall out (they are press fit)
        So you can check by blowing and sucking on the bellows housing.
        Usual problem is that the bellows develops cracks from age / wear & tear.
        and the cracks finaly split making a hole so the bellows no longer compresses the air.

most repair kits come with a bellows and 2 flappers so your can fix eather problem.
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

The air pump says Aquaculture on it.  I dont see any other identifying marks. I dont know how old it is... it came with my tank when I got it in december.  the outer casing is pretty beat up tho.

gonna take it apart and see what there is to see... worse case I buy a new one.

Comment

Working...
          X