Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the h*** is this swimming around in my tank II?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the h*** is this swimming around in my tank II?

I started losing some of my oldest fish in my 20 gallon, after I put a new fish in the tank.
    This all happened over a period of several weeks.
    Then, the tank started staying cloudy, even with frequent and large water changes, along with new filters on the 2 HOBs I use on the 20 gallon.
    So, today I decided to do a massive suction cleaning, and a near complete water change.
    Putting water back in the 2nd time around, I noticed a lot of particulate floating around in the water.
    I looked closer, and it was millions of tiny worms stirred up from the rocks, small white wriggly worms like tiny snakes. Thin like threads, and wriggling like sea snakes.
    What are those things? And could they be why fish keep dying without visible signs of damage?
    I tore down the whole tank; washed/soaked the tank, and big rocks/plastic plants, in tap water and vinegar; and I am going to put it together tonight.
    I would like to know what those worms were, and if they are a danger to my fish.
    Does anyone recognize the description?
    Working for a better Future for my Fish!

Sailfin Mollies, Plecos, Corys,, 1 lonely Jewel Cichlid

Re: What the h*** is this swimming around in my tank II?

maybe leech?

Comment

Planeria = White worms. They come in with water changes and reproduce in gravel that isnt vacuumed regulary. You must be overfeeding!! Tut tut philbert.

They dont harm fish, they just look terrible. I used to have a big problem with the shrimp tank. I didnt like vacuuming because of the tiny shrimp babies. Snails only clean up so much uneaten food.

Comment

There are only a few tiny Tetras and White Clouds normally in the tank, and a few Plecos and 2 Cories; I put large Sailfins in there to breed, and feed more when they are there.
        I usually vacuum once a week, but for a few weeks I just did water changes.
        Well...now the tank is REALLY clean.

Comment

maybe this info might help....
          Planaria Worms
          planaria worms

Comment

What about tubifex worms? I've noticed that planaria aren't exactly the epitome of "active..."
            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

im glad i searched through this section because i definately have the planaria, also in my shrimp tank. i also cant really gravel-vac because its an el-natural setup with potting soil on the bottom. whats funny is i never had them in any other tank. i think some snuck in on the plants in your shrip bottle CHris :evil: . but since they dont hurt anything im not too worried. maybe the new baby clown killies i added to the tank will start snakcing on them. i just wont feed for a few days. since the shrimp are bigger then the killies im not worried about the shrimp.
              Never fear I is here
              David Abeles
              Vice President
              Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

maybe adding some salt with take out most of them cus of sudden shift in salinity.
                Never fear I is here
                David Abeles
                Vice President
                Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

I also had an infestation of tiny white worms in my 55 gallon tank about ten years ago. These were NOT planaria. After a water change these things got stirred up in the water coulumn and it looked like there was rice in the water! I took a water sample to work and under the microscope saw that these were segmented HAIRY worms that would probably give Imaguygeek nightmares if they were considerably larger! They somewhat resembled a thinner version of a saltwater polychete worm without the nasty looking jaws.  Never did find out what they were, but I killed them off with daily dosing of aquarisol and weekly water changes. Anyone here know what these small white hairy worms were? Greg, if you can get a sample, I'll let you know if it is the same worm.
                  PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

The worms are swimming in the bayou now...tore the tank down, and replaced the gravel.
                    Panic is an ugly thing...
                    I'm sure they were planaria, never saw them 'til I added the new water during a WC, and they were stirred up. Long, thread-thin wriggly worms don't sound like what you had, Nick.
                    And I hadn't gravel vacuumed for 2 or so weeks, so...there ya are.

Comment

Found this page:

Looks like a good one for worm IDs. I still don't think they were planaria, especially if they were moving like you described. I'd look particularly at the "Detritus Worms" and "Nematodes" sections.
                      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Detritus Worms! Those were the hairy worms I saw before.
                        PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

Working...
                        X