Apple Snail Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Snail Question

I have a huge yellow Apple Snail in one of my Aquariums. His name is Thunda..like Thunder but pronounced like a 4 year old calling a WWF wrestler name. Anyways, Thunder has been with us for two months we don't have any other apple snails. He had been with a few other snails before he came to us but not since. Well two weeks ago we saw an obvious clutch near the hood above the water line. I've seen all the pictures online. And it's definitly what it is. Before I could find out if anything would be coming out of there. The clutch became detached and sadly obliterated in the move to a slightly bigger tank. Now we've moved Thunda to a new tank and we now have a new clutch. What's going on? I thought they needed an additional apple snail to do this. Am I wrong? I'll get a picture up soon. Right now I haven't sorted out taking good pictures of my tank. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.
    NAM

Re: Apple Snail Question

Hmm, I thought the same thing. You sure it's an apple snail?
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I'm sure as sure can be without him lifting the lid and saying "HEY LADY! I'm an Apple Snail! Mind your own business!" As soon as I get a pic up I'll get some additional opinions. If you go to Apple Snails DOT net he looks just like that yellow one on the front page. And he's huge. I wouldn't be surprised he had to clutches worth of baggage in that shell of his. As I said I'll get a pic up as soon as I can.

Comment

Gotcha.  
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Some species are hermaphrodite (they have both male and female organs).  It only takes one to lay eggs.
          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I have had several egg clusters laid by my Apple and Mystery snails..I obviously had no male as none of the clutchs hatched.
            I floated them on styrofoam, left them attached to the glass above the water and on the hood....nothing came of it.
            After a while the eggs disintergrate.
            Working for a better Future for my Fish!

Sailfin Mollies, Plecos, Corys,, 1 lonely Jewel Cichlid

Comment

I believe they are asexual

Comment

Working...
              X