Help with CO2 setup (Please!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with CO2 setup (Please!)

Okay, I got a regulator from Rex Grigg a couple of days ago. Finally got a wrench big enough to fit around the reg. to tighten it. And, well, that's pretty much all I got accomplished.  :(

I'm going to run CO2 to 2 tanks, so I also got a manifold (which, lucky for me, was attached before it was shipped to me). Then, 2 Fabco needle valves. I'm pretty sure I got the hose barbs and the plugs correct on the manifold - it has 3 holes. I'm assuming the "hose barbs" are for the two tanks and the "plug" is to plug up the other hole. Again, lucky that's kinda self explanatory.  

Then I'm lost. All the explanations I have found so far assume that the reader actually knows the terminology and such. I don't! I love how the instructions I received explain in a lot of detail how to tighten the regulator, and then just say, "Okay, now set up the rest."  8O

So here come the stupid questions. Please, if you can help, be patient with me.  :)

1. Okay, in this picture, just to make sure, is the "bottom" of the valve on the right side of the picture?

2. What's the order in which I need to attach the whole thing to the manifold? I guess I need to attach a bit of hosing to the manifold, and then put the needle valve? Then more tubing, then the check valve, then tubing, then diffuser? And do that for each of the 2 tanks?

3. How the heck do I adjust the flow rate with the needle valve?? Is that just if you have a solenoid (which I do not)?

Okay, I think I asked what questions I had. I appreciate any and all help you can give me. Thanks!
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: Help with CO2 setup (Please!)

1. yes...right side of picture is the bottom.
    2. yes...regulator, manifold, needle valve, check valve diffuser
    3. did you get the Low pressure manifold as well?

If you did....I believe it was open the tank all the way with both closed....slowly open the LPR and then the same with the needle valve....aftewards fine tune with LPR.
    If not....then open the main tank valve, close the needle valve all the way....you should get a reading of about 900-1000 on the high side gauge....then slowly open the other which should be a slotted screw to about 10psi....all of mine seem to work best at about 14-15psi but my house is pretty cold if that makes a difference. then adjust bubble rate with needle valve.

You should have given me a holler! I was at work all night bored as hell with a big ole box full of tools!
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

While waiting for someone who knows what they're talking about, I would do me some google research in the meantime, you might come across something useful.   :)

CF
      Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

3. Okay, no, I got the "Ultra Mini Manifold," which doesn't look much like the picture on his website. Oh well. At least it's attached.

See, I don't know HOW to close the needle valve! Or adjust it to get a different bubble rate, for that matter.  

I guess as soon as I figure that out, I'm set!

Thanks so much, ek!

Comment

There is a locking ring/nut on the needle valve.....then there is the actual adjusting knob so what you wanna do is kinda hold the outer most knob stationary and then turn the locking ring/nut clockwise which should spin it away from the adjusting knob.

Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Sorry. I'm still dense.

Which one(s) am I turning?

1:

2:

3:

4:

Comment

pic 1 is for adjusting
              pic 2 is for mounting the valve to, lets say,  a piece of sheet metal
              pics 3&4 are for the hoses

It looks like what ek is talking about is in pic 1

Comment

Okay, thanks!!  :idea:

Comment

All right.

The only thing that I can turn which seems that it would make some sort of difference in the amount of CO2 released are the pictures 3 and 4.

However, I followed your instructions, ek, and not once, in any combination of opening and closing valves/etc. did either of the pressure gauges go above 0. This makes me think the CO2 tank is empty, although I recently had it filled and it's been waiting for a regulator. :?

One thing I noticed, on my CO2 tank that IS set up, when opening the actual tank, it takes at least 4 full turns to open all the way. On this one, it turns only about 30 to 45 degrees, no more than that, to go from open to closed. Is that something to worry about? Or is it just attributable to different manufacturers of the tanks?

Comment

Where did you get it filled? Hopefully not Fish Gallery cause they don't have a scale and last couple of times I got mine filled there I go empty tanks when I got home.

Also.....All of the ones I have run into took about 4 turns for complete open as well.

Pictures 3/4 are just nipples threaded into the valve body....Picture 1 is the adjustment but those set screws in the plastic knob looks funny...either they hold the knob onto the shaft or they keep the knob from adjusting....the stuff didn't happen to come with an allen wrench did it?

Will you be attending the meeting friday? Bring it along if you are going.

Have you tried hooking up this regulator to the known filled co2 tank you have running already?
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I'll be at the meeting, and I'll GLADLY bring this along.  

And, yes, alas, I got it filled at FG. I needed to fill them, and we had that tour, so I just brought them along. Good to know that you've come home with empty tanks, too. (Well, not exactly good, but, yeah.)

As for pic 1, I don't get what that is at all. I've even gone to the fabco site to try to see what the heck to do, but I didn't find anything to help. The whole thing turns, but endlessly, so it doesn't seem to have a purpose.  :?  But, I guess I'll learn at the meeting.

As for hooking it up to the other tank, I was thinking about doing that this evening. I got so fed up with the whole business last night I didn't feel like doing it.  :)

Comment

Well with picture 1 it looks like one of the set screws is backed out so that might be why it is turning endlessly either that or you broke it.

Yeah there has been several times where FG didn't fill my tanks but it was hard to complain when I didn't pay for it....there is a place off Chimney Rock that fills and I think ADG fills as well.
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Don't think I broke it. I got 2 of them, and they both looked the same when they arrived. Who knows.  :)

Comment

I dont know much about CO2 systems....

but did anyone else notice that the directions said "Get manly on it"    

Comment

Yup, I did, too! At least that part I understood.  

But, I have success! Thanks to Ek and Spyke for helping me. Although I was literally adjusting the whole setup all day yesterday  :? . But, I think it's finally where I want it. Crossing my fingers it will be okay when I get home today.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                              X