Trick to feeding microworms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trick to feeding microworms

Looking for the trick to feeding these little critters without getting oatmeal in the tank.  I tried the wipe them off the sides of the container method, but they don't seem to come up the sides fast enough.  I'm sure there is a trick someone here knows and would love to share.

Thanks!
    Proud and Penniless Texas Aggie Dad!

Re: Trick to feeding microworms

I use a cheap watercolor paintbrush  to gather up the worms from the side of my container and then swish the end in the tank to feed my fry.
    But here is a good page with all kinds of microworm info.

Expiriments with Microworms
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I start a new culture every week, they seem to go up the sides for only a couple days.  I'm using 8 oz. plastic ziploc containers.  Maybe a taller jar?  I'm just mixing oatmeal and water and adding a pinch of yeast them some worms from the last culture.  I don't cook my oatmeal, should I?  There seems to be millions of worms crawling on top of the mixture, kinda shimmers in the light.

Comment

I only change my culture once a month - what I was told to do. Maybe you're making new cultures too fast? After I make a new culture, it takes them a couple days before they make it up the sides, too. I think you're just changing too often, but I could be wrong.

Comment

If you have plenty of worms on the culture material, try the paper towel harvest as shown in the expirements.
          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Thanks for the link.  I will try it.  It is amazing what shows up in a search if you add the word harvesting.

Comment

a trick and a warning on the paper towel method.....

trick:
              about 30 minutes before you harvest, take a second towel, slightly smaller than the first and lay it on top of the first towel.  The worms will crawl onto that one, then you have a clean towel, loaded with worms that you can dip right in teh tank (I dip in a bowel tho then use a pipette to feed the fry)

warning:
              remove the towels when you're finished feeding.  I found that cultures spoiled rapidly with the reduction of accessible air when I left the towels laying on the culture between harvests.

I found that I get more worms then I really need for my fry if I use one of those cheap plastic shoeboxes from walmart.  1/4" of culture in it (oatmeal and yeast, mixed with dechlor water).  I do not cook the oatmeal, I just use warm water from the tap (then i dechlorinate it).  For a bit of a growth spurt, mix a small sprayer or squirt tyope bottle with some warm dechlor water, and a pinch of yeast.   Shake it to dissolve the yeast, and sprinkle/spray it on your culture.  Within 20 minutes they should be crawling like mad.

For scraping the sides of the container, I found a thick piece of red rubber gasket meaterial in the plumbing section of lowes, (it comes in a 1/8" thick and roughly 6"sqare piece) and using a sharp razor blace, I cut a piece about 3/4" wide at a strong angle so the edge is sharp.  I tapered the end so that it's kinda like the shape of a knife - coming to a point.  Cut it so it works dependant on whether you're right or left handed.  This works great for scraping the sides and it's easy to wipe the tip (pointy end if knife shaped) if it accidently gets some culture media on it.  Then just dip in either the tank or a cup of clean dechlor water (if you use a pipette to feed). You could probably cut a rubber spatula if you have a spare one of those around (just don't tell your wife what you're using her good spatula for...)
              The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
              Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

I know you meant to write towel ....however, you could have been more selective in your choice of misspellings.  ushingit:

Comment

Above is not meant as a criticism...it just the word sounds kinda,well, yucky...

Comment

actually, that was sposed to be bowl  :)

Yeah, that would make for a yucky comment!  lol
                    The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
                    Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

Working...
                    X