Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help! both filters just quit working.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help! both filters just quit working.....

ok, i was just doing a mini water change [on a 55 gallon freshwater].  turned the power strip off to the hob filters [before removing water].  one filter is old the other about 6 months old or so.  turned the power strip back on and both filters didn't come on??!!!  what the heck!  checked the power strip, it still works, plugged the filters into other plugs....nothing!  what would cause this?  am i missing something simple here?  is there anything any of you can think of or am i going to be out shopping for new filters???  i do have one spare, thank goodness.

thanks in advance,
    joan

Re: help! both filters just quit working.....

did u put the impellers back in after you cleaned them??

Comment

yes, thank you, i did!   i can see one of them going out but for both of them to go out at the same time.  weird.  the motors aren't coming on at all.  it's not like they are even trying to spin.

Comment

Is there a reset button on the power strip or reset the breaker. Just a try.

Comment

thanks phish.  i decided to really tear one of them apart and in the process dropped the motor which bounced off the dishwasher door and then landed on the floor.  it works now!!!  lol  maybe some sand jammed it up that didn't come out when i cleaned it earlier.  i swear.  nothing like panic on a thursday night.

thanks for your answers.

Comment

There might be a buildup of gunk under the impellor in the motor recess and after the impellors stoped there is too much friction for them to start again.
            remove the impellors and check the motors for skum.  

While your at it check that the impellor has not come loose from the magnet.   The impellor should spin less than 360 degrees on the magnetic before it engages.

You can purchase new impellors or motors if you find that one of them is bad.
            'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
            He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

That was going to be my suggestion from the get go.  I had some of the Marineland filters that just needed a good tapping on the motor to get going again.  That or sometimes pulling the suction tube up just enough to get the impeller moving again and then setting it back in the well.

Comment

sometimes my aquaclears do that and i have to give the impeller a jump start.  just pour water on it hard or flick the impeller with something to kick start it

Comment

Glad they're working now!  :)

Just to add another suggestion if someone else has this problem: Make sure the filter is filled with water. Sometimes it won't run (and in fact it's not good for it to run) without water.
                  "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I had the worst problem with my Aquaclear power filter doing this.  Not only was it an incredible nuisance when it came time to clean the tank or the filter, but it also gave me problems when the power could go out briefly.  I'm much, much happier w/ my Fluval canister now.

Comment

My Aquaclear has been pulling this same crap with me too. It's very frustrating. I'm out of town most weekends and now I'll be messaging my roommates to ensure the stupid filter is still running. I've cleaned mine twice now, don't know what its problem is. I wish my roommates were more fish literate...its scary to me to try to guide them through the process of jump starting the sucker back up.
                      So far its done this to me several times, I just switched to sand so I'm curious if that is affecting it.
                      Katamari Damacy...That's just how I roll...

Comment

Working...
                      X