Bulbs cracked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulbs cracked

I heard a pop while sitting at my computer this evening. Went to the kitchen and notice my lights were out. checked it and everything was plugged in and turned on so I pulled the canopy down and saw this

Same place on the other bulb also. I suspect this would happen if the hot bulbs were splashed, but they weren't. Should I be worried the Ballast went bad and caused this? The bulbs were old and needing replacement but I'd hate to loose the next 2 if the ballast will kill them.

Best place to get new bulbs? strait pin   ....
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
    n

Re: Bulbs cracked

They weren't splashed?  Looks like an awful lot of deposits on the reflectors.  Do you have a cover between the bulbs and the water?

The only thing that I know of that should cause that is water splashing, though I suppose a faulty or damaged bulb is possible.

Also, best place to get new bulbs is AH Supply (google it).

Comment

They weren't splashed. no fish big enough to do it. filter wasn't spraying either. in the year or so I have had them some water has hit the reflector.

This is an AHsupply.com 2x96 kit
      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
      n

Comment

Just took the bulbs out and they both fell apart. Had a hard time getting the bulbs out of the socket too.

Also, The tank looks A LOT better without the canopy on. maybe i'll make another canopy with an open design. something hanging from the wall behind the tank.
        n

Comment

It's hard to say, but I still think that if water's getting on the reflector, it's getting on the bulb.  I'd be willing to bet there are no (or at least significantly less) of the spots behind the bulbs.

Even a tiny dwarf corydoras catfish making a surface run would be big enough to splash water up onto the bulbs, and some gentle surface agitation can send up tiny droplets of water.

Comment

Both bulbs in the same place at the same time? after a year? All I have are tetras and guppies. It didn't happen when I had bubbles going months ago.
            n

Comment

Maybe those clips are squeezed together too tight and cause unnecessary pressure at that point and it finally gave?
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
              X