Cleaning a used fish tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning a used fish tank

I cleaned up this new tank that I bought and it still has marks and blemishes on it. I was wondering what I can do to clean them off better?
    Some of the blemishes look like the vinegar left over from cleaning. Thanks for the help.

Brandon

Re: Cleaning a used fish tank

What do you mean by blemishes? Like smudges and streaking? or algae and stuff that has been caked on the glass.

If it's stuff caked on the glass (NOT ACRYLIC!), then take a single edged razor to it and it'll come off. I find that this works best if done underwater or at least when damp. Be careful not to cut into the silicone.

If it's just smudges, streaks and stuff, then just blast it with warm water and rinse well.
    www.ventralfins.com

Comment

It almost looks like soap that dried up on the walls of the tank. I know it's not soap, could it be calcium build up? I cleaned the whole tank with a razor and they are still visible, and I know that once you put water in it, they go away. Just trying to clean it up a bit. Thanks again

Comment

I just cleaned up a used 60 gal. & tops. filled it up with water. dumped in 1/2 gal. muratic acid. and put in a little pump for circulation. let it run for 4 days. drained and rinsed multiple times. worked great!

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

That muratic acid isn't harmful the the silicon or anything???  I thought that was some pretty bad stuff if memory serves.

If your blemishes go away when you fill the tank, I really wouldn't worry too much.  I bought a 60 gallon out of a junkyard for lack of better terms that had been sitting out in the elements for some time that had some crap baked on it looked like and the razorblade under water did the trick.  It atleast cleaned it good enough to be invisible in water.  You are going to have stuff like that on the inside of the tank when its empty that goes away as soon as you hit it with water.  If they are still visible try a sponge with a slightly abrasive side and get after it but be careful as not to scratch the glass in the process.

Comment

I have had good luck with KABOOM shower, tub & tile Cleaner in the soap & cleaner aisle at wally world and other bulk retail outlets.

It is an organic acid & surfactants

Recomended you use safety glasses & gloves and don't drink it (DUH)  :crazy:
            be sure to rince with plenty of water (check your pH)
            'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
            He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I think I know what you are talking about.  I get it on the underside of plastic hoods on the part where the light shines through.  Seems like a calcium buildup, like you get on metal faucets.  White hard filmy stuff.

Comment

API makes a citric acid based aquarium wipe.....safe for inside and out, may not harm fish (they say it won't) I have had good luck with it and it takes calcium and other gunk right off...

Comment

a razor will clean ANYTHING off the glass...as stated beware of the silicone, but I learned as I was acquiring tanks that a simple single edged razor will get all of the buildup off.
                  5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
                  20 sw cube - a few damsels and a colony of bristleworms
                  29 fw - self cloning crayfish..which can't seem to clone haha
                  29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
                  29 fw - crs/ amano/tiger shrimp /assassins/ whiptails/ plants/ 3 emerald cories
                  55 fw - steatocranus casaurius (20ish)/ tetras/ rainbows/large Jack Dempsey
                  75 fw - large Jack Dempseys / pictus cat/ yoyo loach/ Red gippicep
                  / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

I have had tanks in the past that got calcium build up that would never come off. One 55G had had water sitting in it 3/4 full for a year or so in a garage and no razor would remve the ring all the way around the tank. Vinegar didn't do it, CLR didn't work and I just ignored it. I don't know why but it was almost as if the calcium leached into the glass or something. Sold the tank to a LFS in Oregon and the owner was dumbfounded when his razor blades, vinegar and other chemicals wouldn't remove it. I told him I had tried....

Comment

Working...
                    X