Conditioning Salt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conditioning Salt

How useful is this stuff? I recently attained a huge thing of this and I'm just wondering if it's actually helpful with anything? It says it's good for reducing stress, is this true?

Re: Conditioning Salt

More info please.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I have many buddies who swear by it... they say salt is supposed to help with the osmotic balance in some fish, especially fish that are stressed or recovering from illness.

Personally, i don't use it and i don't see a difference between my fish and their fish.

However, before aquarisol came along, i used it to treat and prevent velvet and ich with great success.
      www.ventralfins.com

Comment

All I know for sure about conditioning salt, aquarium salt, whatever salt, it's certainly alot better than the BS the city puts in the water. In short, it can't hurt in small amounts, but it's true benefit to the fish...????  
        Maybe it does make them feel a bit more at ease....I would say it really depends on the fish too.

CF
        Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

I use salt whenever there is an illness, when I do water changes, or occassionally as I walk buy I throw in  a palm full.  I tend to have very little illness and when I do have a sick one, the salt, heat and pimafix or melafix does the trick.
          5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
          20 sw cube - a few damsels and a colony of bristleworms
          29 fw - self cloning crayfish..which can't seem to clone haha
          29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
          29 fw - crs/ amano/tiger shrimp /assassins/ whiptails/ plants/ 3 emerald cories
          55 fw - steatocranus casaurius (20ish)/ tetras/ rainbows/large Jack Dempsey
          75 fw - large Jack Dempseys / pictus cat/ yoyo loach/ Red gippicep
          / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

Thanks guys. I just have all this stuff and I just wanted to know how useful it actually is.

Comment

Laura Muha in TFH wrote and interesting column about this a year or two ago...but I'm not at home. I liked the article a lot, though.

Here are some previous topics we've had here on HFB about salt, just to browse through:

HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.

HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

all you ever wanted to know about

SALT
                'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Working...
                X