chlorine problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chlorine problem

has anyone had a problem removing the chlorine from a tank?  I bought this cheap *** little 5g from walmart thats the eclipse like knock off for like 15 bucks.  well I set it up, ran if for awhile and put some neon tetra in it.  the lived for about 4 weeks, and then i did a small water change,  treated the water,  added it to the tank.  next day every fish was dead.  when i tested the water, it showed my chlorine at the highest level.  well i though well maybe i scrwed up and forgot to put the stuff in.  i konw i didnt but i though maybe possible.  well i have since drained the water,  treated new water, and added it to the tank.  i treated it with more chem than neccesary and guess what.  I STILL HAVE CHLORINE in the water.  how is that possible.  no other tank in my house has any trace of chlorine at all.  whats the deal?? could the plastic tank be leakin chlorine or somehting. i dont know. im reachin.  all thats in there is rocks, a tetra 5 g heater, and water.  whats the DEAL

Re: chlorine problem

put some water that you know doesnt have chlorine into it, let it sit for a while and then test

Comment

so take this water out, and replace it with tank water from a good chlorine free tank?  ok. i lll do that

Comment

before i do that. i tested the water again.  the chlorine is gettin higher on the scale the longer the water is there running.

Comment

that way you know that the water isnt the problem...

maybe it would be better to take everythign out of the tank first

add known chlorine free water to totally empty tank and let it sit, then test for chlorine

if water has chlorine now, then its coming from the tank, if it doesnt have chlorine it must be coming from something you took out.

add something you took out and let it sit, then test for chlorine

repeat untill something makes it test positive for chlorine... then you know the cause

Comment

Did you bleach the tank out or anything like that?

Also, what's the chlorine level in your untreated tap water? The same? How about after adding the dechlorinator?
            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

no id never bleach anything in my tank.  i konw you can but i dont wanna risk it.  im gonna do the trial and error.  gonna have to finish this next week though i go to work early in morning.  
              the chlorine level in the untreated tap water is spiked to the hightest level.  then i treated it, tested and said 0.  then poured it iinthe tank, and it was creapin up only got to 2.0

Comment

What dechlorinator are you using?

Maybe you are stuck with having to age water?
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

But what would be causing the chlorine level to rise?  Does anyone else find that odd?
                  Our Fishhouse
                  Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

I find it extremely ODD.  i dunno.  the other tanks are fine.  no problems there.

Comment

im using amquel plus and then that didnt work so i went back to my old faithfull tertra aquasafe on the next try.

Comment

PRIME by seachem, how many times do I have to tell you this :aua:

Comment

Originally posted by Cesar";p="
                          PRIME by seachem, how many times do I have to tell you this :aua:
                          :emtthumbs: Prime is the only thing I use. I have to agree with Cesar on this one!
                          A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Comment

The problem is that the chlorine is there but the de-chlor iis throwing off the readings.
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                            X