Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cyprichromis leptosoma

Anyone have experience with these fish?

I'm interested in keeping some in a 55g a la the information in this article http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...cutter_55g.php
    (particularly the first Tanganyika community setup outlined there)

I've got my tank set up and now in the process of figuring out what to put in it.

Also never see any posts about these catfish Synodonits petricola
    Anyone have any experience with these?

If you know where I can purchase these fish or the best LFS for Tanganyika cichlids that information would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Cyprichromis leptosoma

Ultimate Fish on 2920 in Spring is the Tang hot spot  in Houston. Petricola are great fish, I'd recommend them to anybody that needed a small catfish for an African tank.
    So many things can be a mystery, when all we're seeking is freedom...

Comment

Agreed. Ultimate has the largest selection of Tanganyikan cichlids. A fair number of stores will have Syn. petricola. You might even be able to get one on here if you post that you are looking to buy one. Be careful when you get Cyp. leptosoma to get a non-jumbo variety. The jumbos will be too big for a 55.

I don't know if you've already read this article, but you can read more about them here:
      Find your domain name at HugeDomains. Start using this domain right away.

Find your domain name at HugeDomains. Start using this domain right away.

This website is for sale! duboisi.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, duboisi.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

A few things that I have learned about them personally. They are great cichlids to keep in a group and should never me kepy in a group less than six. A group of at least ten is ideal. They are a naturally shy fish, so having a school of these guys swim around in the tank bring out some of the more bashful cichlids.

I have kept Cyprichromis with Tropheus, Altolamprologus, Eretmodus, Julidochromis, Synodonitis, Neolamprologus leleupi, Enantopius, and BN plecos. I have found that while keeping cyps with tropheus is certainly possible, it is not ideal if the intention is breeding. Both the N. leleupi and Julidochromis tend to be rather aggressive when breeding (indeed I currently have a pair of Julies holding off 36 Cyps  to one half of the tank in a 210). Personally, I would recommend these two only if you do NOt get a pair. The tanganyikan gobies, synos, sand sifters, and Altolamps would be my recommendation for tankmates.
      Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
      Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
      Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
      Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Thanks for the great information, now I just need to find somewhere local where I can buy these fish.....

Comment

Depends on how much you want to spend... Fish Gallery had some for around $40ea.
          Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?

Comment

If you go to Xtreme Fish and Pets and ask for them to order you some, I'm almost positive they can do it for cheaper. I know I've seen them there before as well.

Comment

I'd like to get in line on these too...put me down for 10 somewhere around summer perhaps.

thanks

CF

Maybe MB could move this for me, I put this down in the wrong thread, need it over in Arms. 200 tang thread,

Thanks
              Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

CF - are you talking about my jumbo Cyps? That is on the 200 Tag thread....

Comment

Yeah I won't be paying $40 each for them thats for sure looks like my best bet will be to order them myself online seems like a few sites offer them.

Comment

you should be able to get them online for $8-14

Reserve Stock Cichlids has some Bulu Points for $11
                    www.hotcichlids.com has some Blue Neons for $8

Comment

Working...
                    X