210 Bowed and Center brace Collapsed Lights and All

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 210 Bowed and Center brace Collapsed Lights and All

Well, it was an interesting night last night. Traci was changing sand in the 150 and I was sitting on the couch with my computer when I heard something going on in the fish room. Now understand that the fish have been very active and splashing around alot lately. I heard it again but it was louder and sounded like cats playing with something so I said "what the heck" and Traci said "Yeah, the fish were doing that earlier" and that's when I heard the crash. Being the "Man of the house" I went to go check it out and that's when I saw it.

I screeched like a pre teen girl :signeek: when I saw it. Of course Traci came running to save me, probably thinking I saw a spider from the shrill scream (yes, I said it. I am scared of spiders and Traci says that is okay  :) ).

The center brace of the 210 had collapsed into the tank, lights and all. The Tops, center brace, lights and 2 Beta Bowls with Beta's in them had fallen into the tank onto the rock scaping.  

Traci, with her Karate like reflexes immediately sprung into action and went for the tank. Luckily with my manly protective instincts stopped her just in the nick of time yelling "Don't touch anything, the lights are in the water!!!". I got everything unplugged, started draining and we pulled everything out.

The glass had bowed by about a quarter inch and caused the structural failure. I took some measurements, cut some wood and made an external brace to prevent bowing. Then I made a brace to hold the center glass in place and began resealing.

It was all very dramatic and I don't like drama so you can imagine I was stressed. We had a good laugh about it all afterward and went to bed around 3AM :) We'll give it a couple days and some more silicone and see where we're at.

Disclaimer: No fish were hurt in the events told in this story and only minor injuries to humans
    All men are created equal but his choices determine his value and what's in his heart determines his worth.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Re: 210 Bowed and Center brace Collapsed Lights and All

Wow what a save. We all know that it will happen, its just a matter if we are the to prevent the big disaster. Good luck hope everything works out for you guys. FF

Comment

Did you by any chance get this on video?
      Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
      Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
      Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

ninja-style ala Jet Li, or the spiders attacking Imaguygeek?

Comment

I'm willing to bet you had on your manly flip-flops too while this was going on!
          The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
          Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

even though you can laugh about it now.....i am very glad to hear that everyone's okay....including the fishies.....
            and charles...it's okay to show your feminine side dear.....all the other's on here just haven't made it to that manly stance yet..... :chatterbox: they just talk big....

and remember....a spider isn't as bad as a pouncing cow.... :winkle:

Comment

Iam also glad none of the fishies got hurt and this is a lesson learned being that Iam resealing a 210 myself currently, but the feminine side is like the dark side of the force.
              We are still trying to understand it and have failed beyond belief!! :)

Comment

the dark side feeds off fear remember.....

Comment

Thanks Loretta...now he's afraid of pouncing cows too.    He's in the corner in the fetal position mumbling something about pouncing cows....

Ya know...I figured one day we would have a tank issue, and luckily we were home when it happened.  But why why why did it have to happen to our Prison Tank??  These are the fish who can't be nice with other fish!  So we had no choice but to leave them in the tank while GuyGeek worked to get the brace back in place.  But nobody got hurt, and our house wasn't flooded so I can't complain too much.  
                  Our Fishhouse
                  Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

Originally posted by wvgdiscus";p="
                    Did you by any chance get this on video?
                    No and thank goodness. Nobody needs to see that  8O
                    All men are created equal but his choices determine his value and what's in his heart determines his worth.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Comment

tell him to call cichlidfan...he can give him some pointers on allaying the fear somewhat of these atrochious creatures....

Comment

Originally posted by Spot86t";p="
                        I'm willing to bet you had on your manly flip-flops too while this was going on!
                        The "Man Slides" Flew right off when I kicked my legs in the air while screaming

Comment

8O .......now that's a mental picture that really skeers me guygeek......

Comment

Originally posted by fishlady";p="
                            even though you can laugh about it now.....i am very glad to hear that everyone's okay....including the fishies.....
                            and charles...it's okay to show your feminine side dear.....all the other's on here just haven't made it to that manly stance yet..... :chatterbox: they just talk big....

and remember....a spider isn't as bad as a pouncing cow.... :winkle:
                            8O  8O  8O "Pouncing Cows"  8O  8O  8O ???

WHAT THE...

I am now indian and love cow... Would never hurt one... Please let the "Pouncing Cows" know this... PLEASE!

Did I say this already? WHAT THE... ???

Comment

Originally posted by fishlady";p="
                              8O .......now that's a mental picture that really skeers me guygeek......

Just go to your happy place, FL....it's safe there.
                              Our Fishhouse
                              Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

Working...
                              X