Best plants for denitrification??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best plants for denitrification??

I am extremely new to plants in an aquarium, so please bear with me..

What are the most efficient/effective plants for removing nitrogen compounds (nitrate/ammonia, etc.) in a freshwater fish tank?  I am in the process of planning out my filtration for a large aquarium and I will be using a sump and refugium similar to what you might see on a saltwater system.  I don't know how much of a flow I will need to go through the refuge part (some plants may not like the current), so I will have a valve to control this "slip stream".

Anything will help!!!

Thanks in advance!

Re: Best plants for denitrification??

fast growing stemmed plants like hornwort and ludwidgia are good for sucking up nutrients.
    www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Agreed. I like anacharis too.
      Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
      Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
      Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
      Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Hornwort's probably the best...anacharis leaves come off much easier and would tend to clog up the works more.
        Charles Jones
        http://www.breitbart.tv/obama-dems-i...unders-intent/

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have. --Thomas Jefferson
        Guns are responsible for killing people much the way pencils are responsible for misspelling words.

Comment

Wisteria
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Hmm...I'd go with anacharis and hornwort. I've never really had a problem with the leaves of anacharis, as long as I observe it and prune off the older parts when it starts to really take over.
            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Excellent question.....and answers.......I'll have to tuck this one away for my future reference.

thanks all..

CF

Just thought of this.....will most of these plants be food if placed in a cichlid tank?
              Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Hornwort gets my vote as well.  Float it if possible to give it access to air co2 and it'll grow ridiculously fast, soaking up a lot of excess nutrients along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by CichlidFan";p="
                  Just thought of this.....will most of these plants be food if placed in a cichlid tank?
                  Depends on the type of cichlids! Severums seem to be particularly fond of eating plants, and I've heard that some other SA/CA cichlids are the same way. However, I haven't heard of many Africans eating plants...
                  "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

If these are going to be going into a refugium, parrot's feather might not be a bad choice, you could just float them in the water. I've seen similar setups in pond applications, but you may have to go to pond shop to pick some up.

Comment

Java Moss?

Comment

DUCK WEED!!!  and Wisteria

Comment

Working...
                        X