Tetra Blackwater Extract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tetra Blackwater Extract

Has anyone had any bad experiences using Tetra Blackwater extract?  I used it in the recommended amounts during a recent 15% +/- water change in my 135gal and a couple of days later had a massive die off taht lasted about a week (40 +/- KIA).  THere are a couple of other things that could have contributed (recent additions, tap water, etc) but I am trying to eliminate variables as this was an expensive couple of days that I would like to avoid happening again.

Thanks for your input.

Re: Tetra Blackwater Extract

Were you monitoring your PH while adding this? Were you adding anything else to condition or change water parameters? What type of fish did you lose?

Comment

I've used it without incident, but knowing what your water parameters might help to find the reason for your die off (sorry to hear about that).
      The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
      Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

More info is needed about your tank and the tap water you use.

I have used it before and like the others with no incidents at all.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Same here.

I would suspect the recent additions over the blackwater extract.
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I second that...I use it in my 150g at specified dose and I have had no issues....sorry to hear of the die-off! Tha really sucks, and I know is frustrating!
            Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Comment

Blackwater extract lowers your pH and softens your water a little bit.
              If you have low kH to start with and you add the stuff, your pH is likely to crash. But it shouldn't affect houston area tapwater too much.

like the rest asked... it would be helpful to know your water parameters and type of fish that died.
              I too suspect it may be the future additions.

it's probably a bit late.. but IMO, I don't think think there's anything that Blackwater Extract can offer that good old oak leaves can't offer.

Marc
              www.ventralfins.com

Comment

I have oak trees in my yard....but I worry about what's on them....like pollutants...do you just wash them? ant toss them in the tank?
                Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Comment

I pick the cleanest dried ones I can find, rinse/scrub them, then put them in a bowl of dechlor'd water and nuke them for a few minutes.  Do not use them if they look like they have a worm or other 'thing' on them.  I use a bowl abot 5" deep and 9" diameter.  I get it pretty hot - borderline boiling point.  Then I wait til they cool down and put them in the tank.
                  The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
                  Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

I would probably get some water boiling and somewhat blanched the leaves......then throw them in cool water with some sort of de-chlor or peroxide.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Thanks for the input.  Apologies for not including some more specifics.  The water use is Houston tap water.  I was not monitoring the pH when I did the water changes.  I do have a peat base in the substrate but he pH still runs 7.8 and the alkalinity is high enough that I have never seen a swing.  

I am think that is was likely the new additions as I failed to quarantinue the new additiona (10 serpae & 15 neon tetras).  The "condemned" did take on a head down swimming posture for a day or two before they croaked.  I lost: all of the new additions, 4 checkerboard chiclids, 5 von rios, 10 black tetras, 5 corys, and a pair of apistos.  A pair of black neons, 3 rams, 1 cory, and the gibceps pleco made it.

One folow up question.  This happened about a month ago.  I am planning on starting to restock (starting at the HAS auction    ).  Should I be concerned that the tank is still infected at will afflict any more new additions and that the 5 residents are somehow immune?  If so, what should I use to treat the tank?

Also, interesting about the oak leaves, I haven't heard that before.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                      X