Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing Mirror from sides of Aquarium...How?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Mirror from sides of Aquarium...How?

I have a 45G Hexagon Tank that is mirrored on three sides. I don't like the mirror and want to get rid of it. I took a razor blade and started scraping some of it off but there is a still a layer that I can't seem to get through underneath thus still not allowing me to view inside.
    Any tips would be helpful.

Thanks!
    Katamari Damacy...That's just how I roll...

Re: Removing Mirror from sides of Aquarium...How?

There would seem to be two ways, the razor blade or chemical application. I would think the razor blade would be the cleanest.  Have you tried using one of those scrappers with a razor blade in it?

I am fairly sure the mirror is just a stick on film of some kind.  Give it another try, but please BE CAREFUL with razors.

CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Yea I have used the scrapperblade and its the same result. It's awfully frustrating! It makes my tank look darker than it actually is and I like to walk around and see how everything is looking instead of just through the first half of the spectrum on the front.
      Frustrating!
      Katamari Damacy...That's just how I roll...

Comment

Well, your next choice would be the paint stripper then. I would only test it at first. Get a small sample of it from a store or friend. Or just buy a small can if you like and take about a teaspoon's worth and dab it on a small area that  you have been scraping on with the razor blade.  
        Let it sit for about 15 minutes and come back and use the scrapper again, it should come off quite easily this time around.

Good Luck....

PS....Be careful not to get this chemical near the silicone or inside the tank. You might want to give the experts at "that fish place" a call and ask them about the removal of the mirror film too???

CF
        Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Is the tank glass or acrylic?
          Acrilic glues can be near impossible to remove.
          Is the glue used hard like epoxy or soft like silicon?
          Be very careful with any chemicals around acrylic.
          Proud and Penniless Texas Aggie Dad!

Comment

Excellent observation, yes ....do NOT use chemicals on acrylic tanks.

Thanks for pointing that out TXHH...good catch.

CF

Comment

its a glass tank, there are pics posted in rauls florida blue crawfish baby thread.

I would do some experiments on the silicone and the paint thinner before using it.

put some silicone on a window, let it dry and then put paint thinner on it and see if it reacts.

Comment

After looking at the pictures, I have an idea of what your attempting to do.  I am no expert on glass, by any means, but I do know that the mirrored surface on glass is not a standard film like window tinting.  It is a plating process that puts down silver layers followed by copper layers and is then heated, usually by infrared, to cause the silver to de-gas and bond to the glass substrate.  Removing it would probably take high heat or an acid wash of some kind.  Neither would be recommended for use on an aquarium.  Scraping may eventually remove it, but it will not be an easy task.  Good Luck.
                Proud and Penniless Texas Aggie Dad!

Comment

from a search on the internet

Mirrors are made by sealing a layer of the silver mirror material (which i think is mercury based but don't quote me on that one) followed by a copper layer followed by a sealing material, usually an enamel based paint but sometimes a vinyl on cheap mirrors.
                  Most decent stained glass shops carry two-part mirror stripping kits (mines out in my studio; don't have the name in front of me but will find it in the next day or so and will report back).
                  and
                  You're right that any good paint stripper should be able to take off the protective paint.
                  But the silvering metal can be either Silver or Aluminum.

I'd start by trying a solution of dilute Nitric Acid for disolving any Copper and Silver, you should be able use a very dilute solution for safety (under 5%), it will just take longer.

If the Silver does not disolve with Nitric, then its probably Aluminum. in that case rinse it off very well and then try dilute Sodium Hydroxide (Lye, a strong alkali). This also happens to be one of the main ingredients in Crystal Drano ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr%C4%81no ) so it's easy to get and use if you don't have access to a a good chemical supplier. But if you use Drano be sure to test your resist first to be sure that it won't get disolved (I've had that happen when trying to etch aluminum before)

BTW here's the info on Chromium Trioxide aka Chromic Acid.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromic_acid

Chromic is some really nasty stuff.
                  I'd stick with the Nitric it's far safer in my opinion, and is the generally prefered method for etching copper and silver.
                  And Nitric is used extensively and very safely in the zinc plate printing technique (Intaglio).

here's the info for Nitric

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitric_acid

and here's info for Sodium Hydroxide
                  Avantor sets science in motion by enabling innovation across the life sciences and technology industries. Learn more about Avantor and its solutions.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_hydroxide

Comment

Working...
                  X