Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a Double 39 watt t-5 system enough light for a 50 tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a Double 39 watt t-5 system enough light for a 50 tank?

I'm trying to grow "low light" stuff like Crypts, Java Ferns, Anubis and Moss. Isn't this equivalent to 120 watts of compact florescent light?

Re: Is a Double 39 watt t-5 system enough light for a 50 tan

I would not believe too much in the "equivalent of anything".....I think that was to compare more to the eye.

With 2x39w over a 50g I would say you have enough to sustain life.....how tall is the tank and what bulbs will be used in the T5?
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

How many watts/ gallon should you be aiming for EK? I have 4 x 54watt T6 on a 55.

Comment

Don't know....if it's bright as hell then it works!

4x55w T6 is what I think is good on a 55g...std 4ft?
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

The old rule of thumb is used for the compact lighting.
          With the t-5 t-6 lights you can the same results with less wattage.
          As the t-5 t-6 lights do penetrate the water better.
          Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
          Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
          Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Yeah, standard 4 ft. Its really bright, like make your eyes water if you look at the bulbs directly. The plants look much more green since ive upgraded the lighting. Theres 2 12000k and 2 "plant growth" pink lights.

Comment

Yeah I kinda guessed the bulbs when you said T6.

keep an eye on the plants though, once they start showing deficiencies you will have to add what they are asking for.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I got the equivolency here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminous_efficacy.
                I was going to go with 6700 bulbs.

Comment

Its 36 x 18 x 17 Tall.

Comment

You put a full stop at the end.

Comment

lux is hard to use over water....there is too many variables that come into play when determining lux efficiency.

Water clarity
                      Tank depth
                      Glass tops
                      Etc.

Only real way to find out for sure is to invest into a lux meter which are not cheap, that way you can find what parts of the tank is getting what amount of lux....I almost bought one once but I have found that blasting the tank with light then adjusting co2/ferts/photo-period to my liking was much easier.
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

If you buy one we can hire you to test our tanks. I think I will probably go with twice what I said. Or should i get an Viper HQI?

Comment

I'm w/ Ek I have 220w over a 29 gal & 96 over my 10. So 110 on on a 55 sounds way to low to me.

Comment

I don't think it would be worth it to buy the lux meter....again, I just blast the tank and that has worked for several tanks now with several different layouts so I am happy with my method.

2x what you have in mind would be good but then again I like to keep things a bit far from low maintenance since I like playing with ferts and co2.
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I'm more of a low tech guy. I already a few low light tanks. Had 4 took one down last weekend. I will be starting a higher tech one with my nano cube one when I get my Viper Hqi in. Any CO2 suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                              X