nitrate levels revisited still a problem for me though

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nitrate levels revisited still a problem for me though

Ok. I have a 75g with like 10 koolie loaches, and like 10 corys, and 2 bristlenose plecos.  

I just did a water change and cleaning on the tank wednesday.   7 days ago.   I have a rena xp2 that has been up and runnin for 2 months, I have an aquaclear 110 that has been runnin for almost a yr probably.   No excess food in tank,  hell i dont feed much food at all.  So y is my nitrate spiced up.  its at like 80ppm.  whats the dealio?  Y.  my tap water isnt the problem for sure,  no dead fish, whats the deal

Re: nitrate levels revisited still a problem for me though

Buy a different test kit.

Comment

lol.  seriously?  u think its that?

Comment

Check your tap water source that it does not already contain Nitrates.

What causes Nitrates is the Ammonia cycle.  Without Ammonia, there would be no Nitrates.

When was the last time you cleaned your filters?

I typically wash my mechanical media once a month.  Biological Media maybee 4 times a year in fresh Aquarium Water.

Chemical Media I repalce as it is recomended by manufacture.

GEoff
        380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
        300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
        180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
        150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

well the tap water is clear for nitrates.  
          I cleaned the rena couple days ago, and the aquaclear is due for cleaning in a couple weeks.  
          Bio gets rinsed in aquarium water everytime i clean the filters.  not a good rinse just a good shake in the water to get rid of big pieces of nastyness
          chemical i replace every few months.  but my chemical media shouldnt affect the nitrate

should i do another water change on it??

Comment

Id try a different test kit. What kit are you using? Stick or test tube?

Comment

If your nitrates are Legitamently high still, i.e. your test kit is reading correctly. Its not neccesairly bad, that would indicate that your bacteria in your tank is processing the waste properly. But something in your tank is making alot of waste. Dead fish or overfeeding. I would continue the water changes until it "balances" itself out. Another thing to think about is that one or two water changes won't bring your nitrates down to appropirate levels. It takes consistancy not just a couple of water changes when it gets too high.

Hope this helps

Regards

Mike
              Resident BUM !!!

Comment

apa master kit with test tubes.  no dip strips here

and im gonna do another water change then and maybe another in a couple days.  i change the water consistantly but i dont know whats goin on.

Comment

Keith double check your kit by testing water out of another tank, I am sure youve got more than one. And make sure and time everything just like the directions say.

Comment

Empty the tank and wash it out....that should bring down your nitrates big time if its not in your water source.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

ok the test kit is fine.  my other tanks show good.  its this tank.

eklikewhoa - serious on the cleaning the whole tank and washin it out?   dont do the filters right but do the tank

Comment

No, I was kidding.

Just keep with the 50% water changes...try doing twice a week and see if that does not help bring it down.....but for most fish 80ppms is still not that bad.
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

maybe he should thump his fish for pooing too much:?    

Comment

Well....that would solve the nitrate problem if he thumped them and put them in a cup as time out....
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Ek, joke or no joke, it might be worth it. Youd find any dead fish or source of decay that could be causing it. Do a 75% water change and see how much that lowers the nitrate. If it lowers it back to normal, see how long it takes to get back to high levels.

Comment

Working...
                              X