Nitrate Levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nitrate Levels

Question: How to BEST control nitrate levels?

CF

PS current Nitrate test 80 ppm .....last water change 25% on Monday. New filter media. No excess food seen in tank, minimal amount of fish waste in tank.

Bio Load = 40 fish in a 210 gallon tank.

Filtration: Wet Dry, FX5, Emperor 400 and Oddessy 350 PH...
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Re: Nitrate Levels

Test your tap water, sometimes there is ni present there.

Would this be you tropheus tank? They produce a lot of waste! It wouldn't hurt to add a bit more filtration to the tank but that's besides the point.

The only way to remove nitrates which is the end product of your nitrogen cycle is through manual extraction......water changes. 25% is not enough to bring it down IMO but then again what are your nitrates before and after water changes?

On my tanks which have similar bio-loads if not more....my tank is smaller but with about the same load......I do minimum of 40-50% and sometimes twice a week. Also make sure you clean you bio media occassionally....especially the bio-balls(this is where having multiple filters come in handy) cause they will in time trap waste.

Another thing is your substrate/decorations, if the substrate is not turned frequently they will trap waste as well....cichlids move a lot of substrate which also buries waste and coarse substrate like crushed coral and gravel have that problem hence the whole python gravle avac tube. Decorations in the tank will build up waste in crevices and underneath them.

You could go as far as a denitrate do ma jiggy but those are expensive and not as efficient as water changes.....plus they don't replinish nutrients/minerals found in fresh new water.

All in all......test tap water....test before a water change.....test after one(some conditioners will cause faulty readings...prime/amquel/etc) and then adjust your percentage accordingly.

I have been able to keep my nitrates between 10-40ppms....10ppm after a water change, about 20ppms if I do twice weekly and up to 40ppms if I get lazy and do only once a week.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Forgot to add....with multiple small water changes you get less and less "old" water taken out each time cause you end up removing some of the new with the old.....though its less fluctuation with things you don't want fluctuating.....that is if the parameters of the two is that different.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Tested the tap water, it shows minimal nitrate amounts, maybe 2.5 ppm....color is mostly light yellow

So overall, up the water change to 40% is what you would do first then right?  Along with changing the bio balls and turning substrate.

I recently purchased two 2217's, I'm going to put one on this weekend.

CF
        Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

I would up the percentage and see what that does.....when you turn the substrate I like to hold the end of the python(without gravel tube for sand) with my thumb while turning the substrate with my fingers.

The bio-balls just need cleaning and no need to replace them. Make sure you have bio-media elsewheres to handle the load or only clean partial of the balls.

With the 2217s I would throw them both on there!
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

buy a carbon bottle

Comment

Please elaborate on "carbon bottle"

CF

Comment

This website is for sale! purewatertreatment.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, purewatertreatment.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

I'm wondering if I still would have fallen in love with troph's had I known I would end up spending a second car payment on them each month...???

CF

Comment

that's somewhat drastic to buy a system like that don't you think?....i would stick with the water changes instead.....
                    do you have that in your house delock?

Comment

Delock has a huge carbon bottle! I want to get one as well....trying to get mike to part with the one he has....also though about doing RO/DI and adding back the trace elements as well as buffering it.

All fish require a bit of money....just some you can get away with more but that's doesn't mean they wouldn't do better with it.
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

i love my fishies very very much......i just don't know if i would invest in that much money for a system of that magnitude......if i can remedy it without it...or ....i could win the lotto....

Comment

You can get the bottle for less then a hundred dollars...

What I posted was for example only

Comment

weere u gettin one for less than a hundred bucks?

Comment

There is a water filter company off 290

Comment

Working...
                              X