second day concern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• second day concern

I am new as most know... so I set up the tank, got the water tested.. everything is good.... I put some fish in Feeders to start the cycle.... tank real clear.... this morn woke up and the tank seems cloudy... Is this normal? should I retest the water or give it time.... I am completely new... I know zero at this point..... I have wondered around this site and I am learning a lot... I just like some insite on this cloudy issue...... it's not bad... but it is present.... Both tanks.... 60 gallon and 50 gallon..
    Had about 900 gallons now I am tired and selling them off...

Re: second day concern

This is normal while it is cycling.
    Raul
    PokerFace

Comment

FIY- A sponge filter on the end of a nice quiet air pump works wonders when it comes to removing debris from the water table.

This is especially effective for clearing up a tank where sand or gravel has been added to the water and the dust or debris from the sand or gravel has made the water cloudy.  The sponge filter removes fine debris overnight in most cases.

CF
      Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

thank you... I thought so.. But you know how new guys are..... not sure so you worry.... thanks again..

Comment

What side of town you live on?
          If your close by to a member maybe they could let you borrow  a seasoned filter to help with your cycle.

If not then just let it be. It is part of cycling a tank.
          Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
          Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
          Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Is it cool to add a picture?  I live in LaPorte... But I would not feel comfortable asking.. My first thought would be, It would be possible to pass bad stuff from on tank to another... If it was your own tank, then that is a different story, But I might pass bad stuff back to thier tank... I could be wrong on this, and It may not be as bad as I think. But that would be my first concern...  I am even woriied about the water from the pet store.. should I be?    I just netted my fish in.. I assume that is the correct way.

Comment

Yup.    Should go away pretty soon. (Just to bombard you with answers!)
              "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Originally posted by cope";p="
                Is it cool to add a picture?  ...  I am even woriied about the water from the pet store.. should I be?    I just netted my fish in.. I assume that is the correct way.
                Very cool to add a picture! We love them!

I would advise you to never add water from an LFS...just in case. Even if you trust them completely, you never know.

What do you mean by "I just netted my fish in?" Do you mean you netted them out of the bag they came in from the store and put them in your tank?

Comment

here is my 50    2nd day and we already like these things...... they are great.

Comment

Yes... I floated them for 15 minutes... then pour them into a bowl.. them grabbed them with the fish net and dropped them in... I would guess that is the way you would do it..... Tell me, You don't rinse them first do you... I know that sounds dumb... But you never know..

Comment

No, I wouldn't rinse them. That's what a quarantine tank is for.  :)

I usually do the same, although after dumping them into a bucket I acclimate them for about 30 minutes by slowly adding my tank water to the bucket. That way they get used to the temperature and the other parameters of the water.

Comment

Some folks have their own way to introduce new fish into an existing tank, but the safe way would be to have a quarrentine tank to put new arrivals in for a few days to make sure they are not infected with any parasites or sickness.

Most of us, myself included, float them and release them, I like to grab the little boogers with my hand.  It really depends on the fish I'm adding to the tank, and who's in there now......I know...so much to know and remember....gesssh

CF
                        Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

well... I think borrow may not be the best word... most people would prolly just give you one of their older filters and not expect it back...

and yes there are concerns with getting water/used filter media from people and stores

when your getting a new fish you shouldnt put any water from the store in with it... I use a net and scoop the fish out of the bag and drop it into my tank... maybe someone has a better way they could tell us?

as for getting something bad from the filter... just have to take a risk getting it from a store or a person... most people know if theres a problem in one of their tanks and would hopefully advise you to get the filter from someone else... or you can wait to let it cycle naturally

Comment

When I get new fish in & know from whom I got it.
                            I just open bag as soon as I get home & grab the little bugger by my hand & plop it into the tank. But in a nicer way.
                            Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
                            Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
                            Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

that's the up close and personal approach...works for me.... :)

NOTE....I do "float" for a short time...

CF

Comment

Working...
                              X