Rosy Barb help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosy Barb help

hey gang i have some rosy barbs. well my females are always SUPER FAT with eggs but i never get any eggs or babys.  The males chase them around the tank like crazy when they are really plump.  I think they are eating the eggs.  what do or can i do to get them to lay eggs?  do the eggs get fertilized beefore they lay them or after?

Re: Rosy Barb help

Sorry Keith, I have no clue when it comes to just about any egg layers....but I'm sure others will.....Good Luck

CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Breeding: Type: Egg layer. Difficulty: Easy. Rosy Barbs will breed in your aquarium without much persuasion, but unless the tank is properly prepared, the eggs will be eaten. Rosy Barbs will eat they own eggs before they even get a chance to sink to the bottom. Even if the eggs hatch, the fry will quickly become the lunch of their parents and other fish. A separate breeding tank or container should be prepared. A sponge filter should be used (power filers suck up babies). The water level in the tank should be shallow, about 6 to 8 inches high, and the lighting low to moderate. The water should be a combination of tap and rain water. Try to maintain a pH around 6.7 & 6.8. Cover the bottom of the tank with course gravel or marbles so that the eggs can slip between the crevasses out of reach of the parents. Barbs like to breed among plants. Add lots of plant to the tank, especially floating ones (this also helps to subdue the light). Keep the males and females separate and condition them with high quality foods. Choose a female that is plump and bursting with eggs and 2 richly coloured males (2 males to one female increases their chances of fertilizing more eggs). Add them to the breeding tank when it's getting dark. This helps them to settle in before they do the do in the morning or the day after. After the female has dropped all her eggs (she should look much slimmer) remove the parents, or else they will feast on caviar. The fry hatch in 24 to 48 hours. The fry are very small and should be fed infusoria (micro organisms) when they start to swim. After a week the can be fed freshly hatched brine, then larger foods as they grow. If you don't know how to culture your own infusoria or brine shrimp, ask at your pet store for specially prepared foods for the fry of egg layers.

hope this helps ya Keith.....

Comment

nice were did you find that or did you do that your own mind?   i have some plump ones.  i konw they breed and all but the males i think are eatin them before anyone can get the eggs to bottom.  i gotta try puttin them in a smaller tank and try that with the low water line and stuff.  try to get some bbabys.  if i am ever successful in gettin babys then ill have to share with yall.  anyone here gotten them to breed and hatch?

Comment

Learn facts about the Rosy Barb covering care, feeding, breeding, recommended tankmates and more

that's the site i got it from....

Comment

You should have been around when Spot and I were talking about breeding Rosies at the meeting!

I have done this two ways (I forgot about the other one, Spot):
            -Followed my not-at-all-shy couple around with a net in the morning when they do their thing and scooped up eggs as they fell and
            -Put 2 in a tank that had no fish, but was planted with lots of moss and such. Left for work, and took the 2 out when I got home. (I only placed 1 male and 1 female in there because I knew I would be gone for a good 8 hours and figured the odds of having eggs left when I got home would be better with only 2 eating them.) I think the tank was a 20H, but I'm sure even a 10 would be perfect.

I didn't get many babies from either of these methods, but I wasn't aiming for quantity, I just wanted to see if I could raise them.  :)  

I believe the eggs are fertilized as soon as they are released.

And yes, they will eat their eggs...QUICKLY! Mine spawn, and immediately afterwards are like, "Whoa, look! EGGS!!"

With mine, the water parameters and level don't seem to matter...at all, really.

Good luck! Keep us updated...a rosy trade-off may be in order.  :)
            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Working...
            X