Hey planted tank owner, do you know that nerite eat riccia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey planted tank owner, do you know that nerite eat riccia

I am so surprising. It took me for a while to grow some thick nice layers of riccia to replace the the HC in my 30 planted tank. but in just two day, the nerite snails destroyed most of them. Do snails consider riccia as algae?
    100 gal- java fern windelov,anubia petite,xmas moss, crypt,val, sword, riccia fluitans, Sagittaria subulata
    30 gal:e.tenellus,hygrophila wavy,acicularis vivapara,Limnophila aquatica,Hygrophila corymbosa,Hydrocotyle(praecox rainbow,Celestial PD

Re: Hey planted tank owner, do you know that nerite eat ricc

Not that I know of but I do know they will eat dying plants.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Hmm, strange. So you grew the riccia in another tank before putting it in the 30? What fish do you have in there?
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Not exactly. I let them float in the same tank, this is the best way to grow'em since they love light. I have CRS, few RCS, "Galaxy" pearl danios, 6 rainbows, 1 oto cat, 2 alb brittle nose, and lots of nerite snails.
        100 gal- java fern windelov,anubia petite,xmas moss, crypt,val, sword, riccia fluitans, Sagittaria subulata
        30 gal:e.tenellus,hygrophila wavy,acicularis vivapara,Limnophila aquatica,Hygrophila corymbosa,Hydrocotyle(praecox rainbow,Celestial PD

Comment

A lot of scavengers will seem to be eating plants/fish/etc. but what some fail to realize is that they were either dead already or on it's way out the door and those scavengers are just cleaning up the mess.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

:think:  That's true. But if the riccia was grown floating under the lights, it should have been doing well...Maybe I'll throw some riccia into one of my tanks with nerites and see what happens. Just in case.  :)

Comment

I just got some really fresh and alive riccia from the NASH meeting.....put that and a few nerites in a jar and guess what? Riccia is still invasive.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I got proof. But Ek, make sure the jar is big enough to keep up with the snail metabolism. SOmetimes, when they get scared, they just contrast, and do nothing much.

Comment

Riccia suppose to cover everything, but here is what happened to riccia canvas after a few days.
                  [img][/img]

Comment

Looks ugly. Hope it grows back. BTW nice Java Ferns!

Comment

The snails will live in ditches.....they are fine in the jar....lots of energy!

Hell the come out of my Mini-M which fish die in from high co2.
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Could it possibly be that the riccia is exposed to less intense light at the bottom of the tank, and therefore isn't growing like it was?

Comment

Working...
                        X