would this work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would this work

take a trash can fill it up with 8" of water. get a mag drive 5 and hook up a python water changer faucet vacuum to out put of mag drive.put water changer on drain. put a foam filter on imput of pump.drop it in trach can. and vacuum your tank. this way no grit in pump. but a real stong vacuum. just thinking?

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Re: would this work

still thinking and wondering if yall understand or is this a stupid ideal.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Still trying to figure out what your saying.
      Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
      Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
      Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Yeah, I think I will need to see the drawing on this one..... :)

CF
        Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

He wants to create a powerful vacuum using a Mag drive.  The foam filter is to prevent sand or whatever from fowling up the Mag drive.  I think I understand the purpose of the trashcan.

I had a Diatom filter that I attached my vacuum hose to and that worked really well.  The filter pad and diatom media preventing anything from fowling the motor.  No sink or trashcan needed...it filtered the water down to a micron and pumped back into the tank.  

I think Walter has one for sale.  I've been tempted to ask about it myself.  Its a great filter to polish off your tank.
          Raul
          PokerFace

Comment

I try not to waste water. I do maintenance on a tank at a restraunt. it's been neglected real bad for a long time. deep 2" crushed coral. needs a super vac. bio load is light,but it has 2 big nasty plecos. tank is 105 gal? it's not good to have this nasty water running in the mens room sink while they are open for buisness. and it would be nice if i wanted to vac other side and go over center brace and not loose siphon. thats one thing i hate about gravel vacuuming.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

If you cup the gravel vac with your palm really tightly, you can lift it over the center brace without loosing suction. You just have to be quick about it. Dont uncover it until its in the other side of the tank.

Comment

never thouht of that. makes sense. what do you think about the trash can vac? when can is full i would use same pump and pump bad water outside.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

made the trash can vac last night. seems to work ok. drained a 5 gal. bucket in 5 minutes. kind of a soft, gentle vacuum. maybe better for sand. real test this weekend on some tanks.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

I would just use the trash can without the pump....

There's a little trick to get the python going without having to use vaccuum or a pump and if the hose goes from tank straight into the trash can the siphon will be strong enough to vac.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

the trash can vac sounds like it would work just fine.  using the output of the pump to simulate water coming out of the faucet makes sense.  I usually let gravity do the work and run hose right out the back door which is just outside the fishroom.

once the trash can vac starts pulling suction, you could always shut it off (save water and electricity).  The water will still gravity drain but maybe not quite as fast.  Another easy way to start the siphon is to get one of those bulb pumps like they use for boats.  Adapt it to accept larger diameter hose and pump it til the vacuum starts.
                      The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
                      Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

Working...
                      X