Koi Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koi Question

I recently purchased a barrel pond from one of our regs here, and yesterday, with the temp rising outside, I added a small koi to the little pond, well, I found him this evening laying next to the pond, my question to the experienced koi keepers is...........

DO THEY JUMP?

CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Re: Koi Question

Yes, all the time!  You must keep the water atleast 6-8 inches down from the edge of your container.  You may want to put a screen on it.  Goldfish don't jump as much, just a thought and they may be a little more hardy in the tank.  I know what you have it in if you got it from PlanB, nice container if the fish will stay in it : )

Comment

Well, I'm sorry I found out about their jumping ability a little too late for my first koi, thanks for the education.

PS...yes, it's a barrel pond from Bun....

CF
      Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Years ago, I went to a Koi Day at Lilypons, then in Brookshire. They had this huge round polytank with koi and I couldn't believe the leaping that was going on.  They put mullets to shame. I never had any problems with mine leaving my 6 foot square above ground pond, but I had a 2x10 cedar board that overhung towards the inside.   I wonder if perhaps the butterfly ones might be less agile jumpers, since they have more fins to slow them.  Might be a safer choice for your tub. I had both varieties, but never put them to the test.
        MY MANTRA: Yes, I CAN have too many fishtanks!

Comment

My blackie has jumped 3 times.  His main reason I believe was that he had outgrown his pond by a great deal.  about 3" when I got him and he was fine in the 165 preformed Lowes pond.  I got the 165 since it was deeper than the larger one they had.  It was still only 2' deep - which I wasn't happy with.  Blackie is one of 3 standard koi and the only one to have jumped.  He's at least 12" long, possibly 14.  I have several butterfly koi though, and one of those has jumped when they were in the little pond, during a water change.  I've never had a goldfish jump.

the first time Blackie jumped, it was during a water change.   The second time, Warren and I were nearby at the cray pond and heard him jump and then flop around a few times.  I was more worried this time as I'm sure he flopped against the paver block where he jumped.  Again, pick up, dump back in, dosing with Melafix in case he had any damage I didn't see.  Then one nice morning he jumped yet again.  We didn't hear it, so no clue how long he lay there next to the pond.  His gills were still moving tho.  Warren and I were sitting under the carport with our coffee and I noticed some plants near the waterfall looked dry.  I went to pour some water in, leaning over the waterfall and my left foot kinda slid off something.  I looked down and gasped in horror!  I HAD STEPPED ON MY SWEET BLACKIE!!! Panic, fear, horror, and a variety of other feelings swept thru me as I scooped him up and held him in the pond, my left hand and forearm supporting him and keeping him near the wall of the pond.  I held him like this for at least 20 minutes, using my free hand to sweep water into his face/gills and talking to him.  I let him go - he had started to wiggle a bit on his own and he made a round and came back to me.  So I did it some more, letting him go when he seemed to have the urge.  this went on for at least an hour.  Finally he didn't come back and went to the bottom to tell his pals of his adventure I guess.  Then I covered the pond with a net, tightly - there was no way I was going to chance it again.  A few weeks later, the 1000 gallon was ready and I had caught 2 more coons.  Now he's in his 1000 gallon, and seems soooo much happier.  I may still net it - a week ago I discovered another racoon that has been smart enough to stay out of the trap.  :(
          The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
          Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

sorry about your little koi steve....that's just so sad....glad i didn't see him...

Comment

He was a cute little booger too.....big bummer....

CF

Comment

I don't know how big your pond is, but I don't have any little koi.  I have several little goldfish though - some fancier than others.  If you want, come take your pick  :)

It's always sad to hear somethign like this.  I can't believe I was as lucky as I was.
                The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
                Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

Oh shoot! As mentioned earlier, butterfly koi aren't as acrobatic and would be less likely to jump. Actually, I've never seen one jump, not even my big ones. Maybe some tall plants around the barrel will help koi rebound back in. I pile the rock edging around my pond to keep koi from bouncing out. Sorry Steve!  :(

Comment

Originally posted by Spot86t";p="
                    I don't know how big your pond is, but I don't have any little koi.  I have several little goldfish though - some fancier than others.  If you want, come take your pick  :)

It's always sad to hear somethign like this.  I can't believe I was as lucky as I was.
                    Thanks for your kind offer Spot, I might get around to your neck of the woods someday soon.....

CF

Comment

When I had my pond the fish only jumped when something inside was trying to eat it or when it got fed up with the pond itself.....Don't recall ever having a koi jump out though....some of the fish I do remember jumping out....

Giant Pleco....might have just wedged itself out.
                      Giant Clown Knife....this one I think was actually going for food
                      Red Jewels
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I keep a net over my koi pond except when i am out there with them.

Comment

I'm going to get me another koi or two and some netting.... :)

Thanks all.....

CF

Comment

Nelso water gardens was some netting from pondmasters that doesn't show very much.

Comment

when you add new koi in your pond make sure to cover the pond the next 4-5 day. one its use to your water condition ,it will not jump.

Comment

Working...
                              X