brought home the wrong fish...advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brought home the wrong fish...advice needed

For the second time, I've been sold the wrong fish.  I asked for 4 emerald green cats and ended up with 3 emerald green cats and one bronze cory (I think).  The odd one out is definately not an emerald green cat.

Will it be ok with the others in the 20 gallon tank, or should I move it to the 5 gallon with the other bronze cory?  The 5 gallon is already fully stocked, but I do a 50% water change every week.  Am I overthinking all of this???

Lesson learned: find good, honest LFS

Re: brought home the wrong fish...advice needed

Where did you get them from?

Sometimes when they are mixed together the mix up happens to find their way home with you, just take it back and trade it out....
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I would just call up whomever sold it to you, and ask to exchange the fish back. It shouldn't be too big a deal, especially if you still have your sales receipt.
      Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
      Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
      Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
      Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

I'd do what they say with trading it in.

If you're thinking about keeping it, it should do fine with the emerald cats. I have a group of mixed cories that get along well.

Good luck!

Comment

Ha! See...this is why I asked.  Didn't think about taking it back!

I bought them at Petsmart.  The first time this happened, I asked for 4 glowlight tetras and ended up with 3 glowlights and one white cloud minnow.  The white cloud tank was next to the glowlight tank.

The white cloud was beating up on the glowlights, so he got moved to the 20g and was joined by some friends.

thanks for the advice!!    

Comment

Well, they will take them back dead or alive within the guarantee dates....but yeah take them back
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I agree - and I've 'exchanged' fish at petsmart before - they gave me no trouble at all about it.  And mine wasn't cause they packed the wrong fish, I just decided I wanted a different one instead.  I always pick out the exact fish(es) I want.  This way you can make sure the ones you get don't look underfed, weak or inactive.  The bronze would feel lonely - they prefer their own exact species but being with others won't kill them.  You'll also get to enjoy more true behavioural patterns and activities if they're all the same.
              The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
              Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

I don't think I could ever give a cory back - I love those fish!!  

Cories really do prefer to be in larger groups, why not put both bronze cories in the 20, along with the emerald greens? But, I totally understand if you just want to take it back and get another green. Only a suggestion!  :)
                "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Just a little tidbit of information about Petsmart...when you take a live or sick fish back, they throw it in a tank in the back and basically let them starve to death because they can't "risk" putting your possibly contaminated fish in with their "healthy" ones. O.o

Yeah, just thought you should know...if you haven't taken him back yet, see if you can keep him and go buy another emerald - they don't cost that much, right?

Comment

AnotherWoogie - Alot depends on the individual store. I used to work at a Petsmart that would QT them for a week, and then release them into the system as standard practice. Several QT tanks were set up in the back to actually nurse fish back to health. I'm sure there are plenty of stores that are similar to what you are talking about though.
                    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Oh really? I'm surprised, but very glad that not all of them are heartless : )

Comment

it mostly depends on who is working in the department, because it is a little extra work. you get lazy people and you get ur senario, but when you get nice people you get Tim's senario.
                        Never fear I is here
                        David Abeles
                        Vice President
                        Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Working...
                        X