Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breeding guppies for feeders

Hello,

What is needed/ recommended/ tips for breeding guppies?  I have a 20 gallon quarantine tank with ghost shrimp currently.  What is a good ratio male to female for breeding guppies?  I remember when i was a kid that i didn't do much at all.
    The feeders are for a 3"oscar, 5" bichir, 5" spotted climbing perch, 11" s. decorus (catfish), 2- 6" yoyo loaches
    sunrise

Re: breeding guppies for feeders

i personally had guppys for awhile and when i strarted i had like 1 male to like 5 females.  man,  i had babys comin out the wazoo.  the males were busy busy but thats my .02 experience

Comment

I would do as many as you can get to keep the production going.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Where does one acquire a bunch of breeding guppies that are of the larger variety than the feeders? sunrise

Comment

You can get some of the mixed guppies which are sold at just about every LFS there is.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Yup, there are usually "fancy" guppies that are a mix of different strains, which normally won't sell for much. I'd say, like Ek, get as many as you can (financially speaking), although you won't need many. Males tend to be non-stop in their breeding attempts, so it's a good idea to get more females than males. That way, you can also end up with more fry. I'd say 2-4 females per male. Fish stores usually have a surplus of females, as well, since they're not as colorful.

If I were you, I'd probably get about 5 males and 15 females to start with, and load the tank with moss and/or floating plants, so the fry have hiding places. Other than that, just do regular water changes and you'll have a breeding factory in no time.  

Oh, but you might want to move the ghost shrimp. They like guppy fry.
            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

ditch the 20g though.....go for a kiddie pool!
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

What would be a good substitute for the moss and a floating mass for the fry?  I do not want live plants.  I was thinking of purchasing the left over females.  As for the ghost shrimp and guppy fry,  I expect that there would be too many fry fo the ghost shrimp to eat.

Comment

my dad had about 20 guppys in a 55g and then like after about 6 to 8 months.  that 55g had a black ball of guppys.  so many that it was like a bee swarm.  lol

Comment

I'd go with a 1 to 10 ratio. Those males get around a lot. I have that for my endlers [ye, the ARE guppies] and they are multiplying readily. I'd think the 20g would be fine, you really can crowd guppies, they won't be as big or as pretty, but they won't be diseased. I really thing you could do about 3 males and 30 females in a 10 or 15 gallon. In a 20g as many 6 to 60.

Comment

Can I ask why you don't want live plants? Something like java moss and/or hornwort will do wonderfully without any care, just drop it in the tank and don't worry about it from then on. The plants will also help with feeding the fry, as there are always little critters that like to live among live plants. And live plants help to reduce nitrates, which I expect would be higher in such a crowded tank, especially one with babies (more food). Heck, I could even give you a few handfuls of moss and hornwort, I have plenty to spare.  :)

I'd still be kinda worried about the ghost shrimp, though. They might not get all of the fry, true, but they also don't tend to ever get "full."

Comment

Mzungu,
                        I do not have the proper bulb for the plants.  I tried plants years ago without success.  I have never tried moss, but  I can grow some algae occasionally!

I'm planning on having a floating nursery using a plastic storage tray with small slits on the sides to prevent bigger fish and shrimp from getting in..  I will put something in the tray for fry protection and comfort.  Probably parts of a plastic plant.  I realize that the fry would be eaten after leaving the protection of the basket.  Any suggestions or comments?  I guess that the shrimp could climb over the top maybe.  sunrise

Comment

I promise you, as long as you have a bulb, the hornwort and moss will be okay. Any bulb. Hornwort is a floating plant, and moss can be, as well, so I was serious when I said just toss it in the tank and forget about it.  8)

And hey, if you're growing algae, you can grow moss and hornwort!

Comment

Mzungu,

ok,  I have convinced me about Hornwort and moss.  I will give it a try since it floats.!
                            Thanks,   sunrise

Comment

Correction in my last post:

After the ok, there should have been a you instead of an I

Comment

Working...
                              X