can i put sand with my filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can i put sand with my filter?

I have an aquaclear and a emperor penguin bio wheel, can i put pool filter sand in my tank?(will it mess up my filter?

Re: can i put sand with my filter?

i have a brack tank running with fine crushed coral and i dont have anyproblems.  when i clean or something the water gets real silty, but all i do is not turn the pump on till everything has settled to the bottom again.

Comment

Crushed coral is much more coarse then PFS..... Raise the intake tubes and make sure you let the sand settle before turning it back on.

If you have fish that like to move sand around you might wanna look into a canister like Eheim/Rena/Jebo
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I have been running Aquaclear 110"s with filter sand with no problem.  I would suggest that you rotate cleaning your filters and you should have no problems.
        300 W/C Burundi
        210 W/C Moba/ Cyrtocara Moorii
        210 F1 Moba
        180 W/C Mpimbwe
        180 F1 Burundi

Comment

I run AC filters in my tanks with sand.
          Shouldn't be a problem.
          www.ventralfins.com

Comment

You have to run your intake tubes higher than normal if you run sand.  Sand will get in your filter whether you like it or not, I would just recommend cleaning a little more often than normal to ensure the wellness of your impellers.  Especially on the Penguins, I bought more impellers than one could shake a proverbial stick at.  But then again the sand that I was using was a fine blasting sand that would not pack as shallow as I had it.

Comment

Working...
            X