White female betta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White female betta

I went to my local lfs today to find a betta for my room to go with my other tanks. Upon searching through hundreds of containers I came across a female white betta. She didn't have red eyes or anything, but seemed so odd to me as I've never seen one before. I of course bought her, and as I payed, the lady looked at me weird, followed by a glance at the fish. She said that white bettas were considered very rare and she'd never seen one either.

Anyone know anything about white bettas and how unusual they are?

I named my little girl Celestial since she reminds me of the moon =]
    Currently fishless, but a proud mama to a musk turtle hatchling.

Re: White female betta

Phishphreak is probably your best bet for betta answers.

Comment

Thanks Brownsnoutuk maybe I'll mm them =D

Comment

The White Betta are not really white, they are steel blue with genes for blond, opaque, iridescence etc as shown below.
        Although ther are 24 combinations that will give you white bettas, only 4 of them will breed true.
        If you get a male from one breeder and a female from another, the odds are you wont get white fry.

Note:

c --> Cambodian (recessive)
        Si --> Spread Irridescence (Dominant)
        Op --> Opaque (Dominant)
        Bl --> Steel Blue (Semi-Dominant)
        nr --> Non-Red (recessive)
        b --> Blond (recessive)
        L --> Red-Loss (Dominant)

The following 24 genotypes appear white:
        · cc=SiSi=OpOp=BlBl=nrnr=bb
        · cc=Si+=OpOp=BlBl=nrnr=bb
        · cc=SiSi=Op+=BlBl=nrnr=bb
        · cc=Si+=Op+=BlBl=nrnr=bb
        · cc=SiSi=OpOp=BlBl=nrnr
        · cc=Si+=OpOp=BlBl=nrnr
        · cc=SiSi=Op+=BlBl=nrnr
        · cc=Si+=Op+=BlBl=nrnr
        · cc=SiSi=OpOp=BlBl=LL=bb
        · cc=Si+=OpOp=BlBl=LL=bb
        · cc=SiSi=Op+=BlBl=LL=bb
        · cc=Si+=Op+=BlBl=LL=bb
        · cc=SiSi=OpOp=BlBl=LL
        · cc=Si+=OpOp=BlBl=LL
        · cc=SiSi=Op+=BlBl=LL
        · cc=Si+=Op+=BlBl=LL
        · cc=SiSi=OpOp=BlBl=L+=bb
        · cc=Si+=OpOp=BlBl=L+=bb
        · cc=SiSi=Op+=BlBl=L+=bb
        · cc=Si+=Op+=BlBl=L+=bb
        · cc=SiSi=OpOp=BlBl=L+
        · cc=Si+=OpOp=BlBl=L+
        · cc=SiSi=Op+=BlBl=L+
        · cc=Si+=Op+=BlBl=L+
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I have a nice white male Plakat that I hope will breed true. I really like the white Bettas.
          So many things can be a mystery, when all we're seeking is freedom...

Comment

Phish, that's really interesting information and I'm glad you told me. I just bought a white female (gorgeous fish) and now I won't be disappointed if I don't get any white fry.

Comment

Thanks for the info! She looks identical to the first pic and she's absolutely gorgeous. Sad to hear about the chances of getting white fry though =[

Comment

Where'd you get her from?
                So many things can be a mystery, when all we're seeking is freedom...

Comment

im not trying to be a downer but are you sure its in good health?  the bettas that i have seen that are white are dying
                  Michael
                  Clear Lake, TX

Comment

I have an white pair too. They're opaque doubletail.

Fully pearly white ones are very rare.
                    More commonly they will have some sort of red wash or develop pigmentation as they grow older.

I hope you enjoy her!

Marc
                    www.ventralfins.com

Comment

When my whites spawned,  the fry looked like red cambodians untill they were about 10 weeks old and then the Red loss genes kicked in.   After a couple of weeks they were solid white.      I should have kept that line going, but I chose to cut back to only three colors (Red, Yellow & orange)
                      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

sadly today my little female passed on. I got her from petco, and as I left this morning I noticed her tank, (she was in one of the plant vases momentarily) she somehow ended up beneath the rocks, I'm so sad to see her go, due to her being my favorite betta yet, and I've had over 20. She was full of personality, and chased my finger around the tank. but I guess I should have named her Angel instead :angel:

R.I.P Celestial!

Comment

Aqua, I'm sad to hear that. I guess I should name mine Angel in memory of Celestial. Hope you can find another one just as beautiful

Comment

Thanks AnotherWoogie =] That makes me feel better  :)  Gl with your betta

Comment

Thanks aqua...I'm gonna try and find a solid white male and if I get any white fry, I'll be sure to let you know

Comment

Working...
                              X