OLD bulbs, any problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OLD bulbs, any problems?

My bulbs, while working, are getting old. about a year and a half now.  Any problems, besides fewer lumens, that I should be aware of?

2 options. buy new bulbs, or buy another small light kit to make up the difference and add a daylight effect.
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
    n

Re: OLD bulbs, any problems?

OH, and its a 75 gallon with a 2x96 pc kit.
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
    n

Comment

If it's a planted tank or reef tank the inhabitants the survive on the lumens will suffer.

Fish only, only you and the fish will notice that it is a bit dim.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

yeah like EK said. also as the bulbs start to age, usually after a year or so, they lose some of their spectrum capability as the elements burn up. increasing alge growth and not helping plants or corals as much.
        Never fear I is here
        David Abeles
        Vice President
        Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

That may explain the algae. I'll look for some new bulbs. any suggestions on where to buy? nothing too expensive
          n

Comment

If you don't want to order online, City Pets has some pretty cheap PC bulbs.

Comment

Algae.....
              Sounds like a nutrient problem to me.

What kind of tank is it? salt? fresh?
              www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Aquatraders.com has great prices on pc bulbs - typically less than $40 for 4. They have all wattages, actinic, daylight, mixed etc. Only problem, they are the straight pin, not the cube pin type.

If you're not familiar with this company they have been around several years and are a direct importer of Odyssea products.  Even with shipping, they are typically 50% cheaper than most lfs on lighting products.

Comment

It very well could be nutrients. I haven't been very attentive lately.

Its a green hair algae that poped up when I turned my CO2 back on.
                  GulfCoastDiscus suggested it was a lack of CO2 so I turned it back on and upped it. even turned the heater off so more could dissolve.

I've been adding more of my ferts to the water almost daily. I'll test again tonight to see where i'm at.
                  I need to dig up the old calculators and see what I need to add.
                  n

Comment

I was gonna say basically what Tiapan said - as bulbs age, their spectral distribution changes. (At least that's what I've read...)

I'm still very unclear as to whether this can have much of an impact. But, it's usually recommended to change out bulbs, regardless, after about a year or so (for fluorescents).

BTW, that's strange that hair algae appeared AFTER CO2...Do you have any Excel lying around?
                    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

no. and I don't know of anyplace that sells it up here either.
                      n

Comment

Petco I believe sells it and I think I saw some at Alex's place...Ultimate Fish.
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Its been a while but all i saw at ultimate fish was flourish. (trace elements)

I guess i'll wander over to petco. its close and i have a day off. Not getting any yard work done today either
                          n

Comment

There's also Fish R us....
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                            X