Cichlid Salt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cichlid Salt

I have never heard of anyone on the box mention it, but I do use salt in my tanks, just regular aquarium salt that I get for 2.99 a pint box.

I don't use it very often, but I do use it when setting up a new tank, and ocassionally during when performing a large water change.

CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Unless you got some Wild Caught fish direct, I would just use regular aquarium salt.  Your fish should already be aclimated to the local water.  Why change it?
      Raul
      PokerFace

Comment

When I started keeping 5 years old, the lfs told me to use aquarium salt when starting a new tank and during water change.  Since then I have been using aqua salt but I can't remember if there were advantage for using aqua salt.

I did 50% partial water change on the 125 gallon tank yesterday without using aqua salt.  I didn't observe any change in water or fish behavior.  What is the advantage of using aqua salt?  Am I hurting my fish if I don't use it at all?

Thank you.

Comment

I don't use regular aquarium salt unless I need it....I do use Epsom salt at every water change to increase magnesium. I did use the Seachem Tang buffer for quite some time and think it helped a little bit since it would put the trace minerals and such into the water in which most of my fish are use to.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

+2 for Epsom salt

Comment

same here.  +1 more for epsom salt

Comment

I use aquarium salt in my tanks every time I do water changes
                Resident fish bum
                330G FOWLR
                34G Reef
                330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Is the epsom salt same kind found in Walmart?  What effect does it have to increase magnesium?  What ratio of table spoonful of magnesium to ten gallons of water?

Thank you.

Comment

Yes, epsom salt which you find at walmart or any pharmacy.

Magnesium is found in high contents in Lake Tanganyika and it also serves as a laxative. I use 1tbsp per 5gal.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

If I only have Malawi Cichlids in the tank, will it be better for me to
                      1.  add epsom salt,
                      2.  add aquarium salt,
                      3.  don't add any salt.

Thank you.

Comment

Id add Epsom salt. Like Ek i use 1tbspn/5 gallons. Dissolve it in a 1 gallon container, then pour it into the tank away from the filter intakes.

Comment

Working...
                        X