Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to get started...

Hi everyone,
    After many years of wanting to get a colony of tropheus, I've decided to really get started!  I think I'd like to get fry and watch them grow up, as opposed to getting adults.  The hard part is going to be choosing a single variety!

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should start looking to purchase my first colony?

Thanks!
    Doug

Re: Looking to get started...

Mike at Mikes Tropical Fish and Pets has some Duboisi Juvis for a great price.

Geofftropheus has some Redcheeks and Ujiji fry, and Ek has a breeding group of Ilangi.

Comment

HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.

Theres the thread your after.

Comment

You sure you want tropheus & not fronts?
        Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
        Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
        Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Originally posted by fishfood";p="
          Hi everyone,
          After many years of wanting to get a colony of tropheus, I've decided to really get started!  I think I'd like to get fry and watch them grow up, as opposed to getting adults.  The hard part is going to be choosing a single variety!

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should start looking to purchase my first colony?

Thanks!
          Doug
          How big is your tank?

Comment

Right now I have Mpimbwe Red Cheeks and Ujiji fry for sale.  Texas Tropheus Traders, a site sponsor, has a large variety of Tropheus for sale.

Anytime you start off with Tropheus always look around for sound advice.  Get the largest aquarium for your size and budget, and target about 10X filtration turnover if using Canisters or Hang of the Back Box Filters.  IF your going to use a wet dry instead, then your pump needs to have atleast a 5X turnover rate for the Aquarium.

Just so that it is clear, turnover is how many times per hour your aquarium water is 100% filtered or passes thru some kind of media.

Food needs to be the exact same food that the person who has them is feeding for absolute best results.  Then after about 2 weeks slowly blend in over about another 2-weeks the food you want to feed them.

Hope this helps..

If interested in joining the club, send me a PM with email and any contact info.

thanks,

geoff
            380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
            300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
            180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
            150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Thanks for all the replies!

My tank is a standard 75g.  

I started this tank about 5 years.  My original plan was to get Tropheus, but after a lot of reading on the internet, I got scared off.  I went with a Tanganyika only tank, minus the Tropheus.   I'll post an update once I make a decision!

Thanks again,
              Doug

Comment

Looks like you are in College station which is where Mike of TxTropheusTraders is located.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa";p="
                  Looks like you are in College station which is where Mike of TxTropheusTraders is located.
                  Wow!  That should be handy!  

Comment

Working...
                  X