Film on Surface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Film on Surface

I observe film on the water surface on the 50 bowfront running eheim 2213.  I have 25 cichlid frys in there don't like having trouble breathing.  On the 125 gallon tank I have one 2217 (getting another 2217) and Oddyssea EX350 blowing at the surface so the film is not very obvious.  I have mainly Africans in the 125 gallon tank.

Should I worry about the film?
    What is the cheaptest / easiest way to remove the film?
    How do I prevent it from happening?

Thank you all.

Re: Film on Surface

A powerhead will work.

Comment

surface aggitation will help prevent it

Comment

Use your python to remove the surface film & you can either use more air or add a powerhead to cause more aggitation on the surface.

If you looking for another 2217 send me a pm I have one that I am not using that has all media & hoses.
        Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
        Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
        Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Poor surface agitation in result to poor filtration on the tank.

A 2213 IMO is not enough for that big of a tank with with that kind of fish. I have a 2213 on a 20g along with a 250+ gph powerhead and still feel that I should upgrade the filter to a 2215.....and that's for about 20 shelldwellers.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

The surface sludge extractor is a more expensive solution, but effective in my experience.  Siphons water at the surface and toward the middle of the tank at the same time.  It is a rather bulky addition to the tank though.
            Drew

Comment

I just use a sheet or two of newspaper (black and white print not color) opened flat on the surface of the water then remove.  The newspaper removes the film on the water surface.  sunrise

Comment

Id be scared something on the newspaper would leach into the water, even if done quickly.

Comment

I done it for years.  The news print is made from vegtables biodegradable.  The fish have had no ill effects.

Comment

i use papertowels,.  plan white ones with no dyes or anything like that.

Comment

Working...
                    X