Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Siphon break for canister filters

Hello,

I was thinking that a siphon break in the intake hose would be a good idea.  I can foresee a disaster if the canister leaks with the intake hose 3 inches above the gravel.  Does anyone use a siphon break in their intake hose?  I was thinking of putting an 1/8 inch hole about 3 to 4 inches below the water level in the intake tube to create a siphon break.  This would still allow water changes while the canister is still on.  Thanks,  sunrise

Re: Siphon break for canister filters

I don't have a problem leaving the siphon while doing water changes.....actually prefer it so I don't have to re start the siphon afterwards.

Now with an overflow for a wet/dry I have siphon break holes in the return right below the water surface.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Huh...I've never thought about that before. I don't see that it would hurt anything, especially if it's low enough not to be effective during water changes. It's always better to be safe.  8)
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

ek,

I was thinking mainly about the canister or hoses leaking while the pump pumps out all of the water until the the water level reaches the bottom of the intake hose.  A siphon break would stop the loss of water at the point of the drilled hole in the intake pipe.  sunrise

Comment

Well with that one would assume that the further up the better since that would mean less water on the floor......but in the same sense it would break siphon whenever you did water changes.

I think if you are really paranoid about it get a float switch to kill power to the pumps when it senses low water level.....or I think they have an alarm deal that will sound or maybe even kill power when it gets wet.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
          X