cleaning filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning filters

how do yall clean your fliter pads and what do yall do.  do yall keep a dry one ready, switch it in the filter and dry the other one then wash it or wat yall do to get it clean?

Re: cleaning filters

Step 1.   fill a 7 gallon bucket 3/4 of the way full. Add a few drops of Amquel or similar treatment. (it is supposed to be effective immediately, but I like to let it sit a little bit.

Step 2. Add a touch of aquarium salt to bucket, I read it helps reduce lime deposits on plastics and moving parts.

Step 3. Clean all filter parts in bucket. No rinsing in tap water.

Step 4. Replace media as wanted and reinstall filter

Something like that anyway...... :)

CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

is that how you clean the filter pad?  the one that catches all the crap?  whats amquel?

Comment

It depends on the pad buddy, if it is a solid piece...yes, if it is a emperor filter cartridge, no, I just toss those and replace them.

Amquel is the chemical treatment to remove chloramines or chlorine....it's now called Amquel +, another brand is Prime. That way you dont' rinse any fish friendly bacteria off the pad, or kill it with the chlorine in the tap water.

CF
        Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

ah. got it.  its the filter pad in the bottom of my renas.  i have 3 of them now but my xp4 is the first i had.  it doesnt blow near the velocity that it did new. i know they slow but man its slow.  i put new pads in it and evan cleaned hoses.  it just doesnt put out that much pressure it seams.  im nervous its not enough for the tank.  i cut back on some of the bio, and amount of carbon in the canister so that water isnt impeded by stuff but still no help.

Comment

I have multiple filters on each tank......

I just remove the filter I choose to clean for the month.

Take it outside to the garden hose where there is a nozzle that sprays like a pressure washer.

Remove filter pads and blast with water hose till clean. Repeat for media if I think its clogged or dirty.

For single filters......

I clean sponges only in the same manner or squeeze them in old tank water. I usually have a good amount of media in all my filters so I just hose off the sponges and keep my media in tank water.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

i was just curiuos if yall soaked the filters or dyred them out or anything.  thanks.

Comment

On my XP canisters, I always rinse and re-use the 20 and 30 ppi foam in the bottom tray with water from the sink.

I take the bio-media in the middle baskets and put them into aquarium water and rinse them in aquarium water/dechlorinated water until they are pretty clean.

ALWAYS use a NEW FINE pad, never re-use the FINE pad in the top basket.  You will never get that thing clean.

Also, remove the center cap and clean the imperller shaft to get all the debris out.

I think your biggest problem with reduced flow, is if you are re-using the Fine pad.  There is no way your going to get that cleaned out and back to original.

The Fine Pads are the only pads I replace.  Everything else is just rinse and re-use.
                380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

no i get a new fine pad everytime

Comment

Howdy,

We do simular to EK only inside at the sink with a spray hose.  We alternate doing the filter pads with water changes.  3-6 months is how long they last.  Some times we clean the pads well dry them out and use them for another month or two.  If in dought or your tank does not look clean use new ones.  later, ken

Comment

i just was wondering though,  do yall notice a considerable slow down of pressure with ehiems and stuff yall have?

Comment

Eheims are usually slower to begin with but most of mine stay pretty consistent with flow rate.

I have a 2228 that has not been serviced since I set the tank up which is over a year now and it stil blows like it was set up yesterday.

I pack all my filters with eheim ehfisubtrat pro and sometimes not use the fine pad or at least not use them in all filters.
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

thanks

Comment

I guess I am just plan old cheap.
                            All I do is squeeze out as much bio as possible in any filter under the faucet. Rinse all media now matter if it needs it or not.
                            Put it all back together fill the canisters with tap water put it back into service.
                            On sponge filters I rinse them out under the faucet as well & put them back into the tank.
                            On the hospital tank I will boil the sponge filter for 30 or so minutes to kill anything that maybe living on it.
                            Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
                            Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
                            Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

MY GOD.....get a rope..... :)

CF

Comment

Working...
                              X