Gold Rams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold Rams?

So I have seen very few pictures of Gold Rams. However I was in Fish'R'Fun this weekend and I saw these very cute yellow cichlids. They looked a bit like rams but the head was slightley different (more pointy mouth), and they were, well, chubby! The fins look long too. Difficult to say for sure since they are only an inch long right now, so obviously quite young.

Color is yellow with pinkish tinge, especially round the gill covers. There's a faint blue pattern under the eye. Thge eye is goldish as opposed to red in my other Rams) with a black vertical stripe.

The bloke at the shop swears they are Gold Rams. I bought a couple for grins. Did anyone else see them? Can anyone help me confirm what they are? If they are Rams they can stay put in my small fish community. But if not they will have to go in my son's tank!
    Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Re: Gold Rams?

bump
    Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Comment

yes....Ben over at fish r fun does have gold rams....they can be kept in a community tank as long as the water is at 6.2-7.0 ph levels....these guys are just like the rams...and very sensitive to water parimeters.....aren't they soooo cute.....i got some from him awhile back too.....

Comment

Hi Loretta

Thanks! My community (150g) is mostly tetras and similar. pH is 6.8, and quite soft. I have a lot of plants and use blackwater, and my "traditional" rams seem to love it. Most of the fish are very small (ember tetras and pygmy cory's for example). Quite a peaceful environment!

Are the yellows just a bred strain, or a seperate species? They look quite different with their pointy faces and chubby body shapes. They seem to want to hang around at all depths too..

Nice fish for the price!
        Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Comment

Working...
        X