FX5 VS Eheim 2260

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FX5 VS Eheim 2260

It appears to me the price for Fluval FX5 and Eheim 2260 are about the same at $300 (please let me know if you know source of better price.  I need to learn how Ebay work.)

A few concerns about these two filters.
    1.  FX5 has 950gph flow rate.  Does it mean it got clog up sooner and need to be clean up more often than the filter with less gph?
    2.  I have Eheim 2213, 2217, Rena air 300, and Emperor 400.  Both Eheim are quiet. Rena and Emperor make obvious noise.  I saw a post saying FX5 is about 43 decibels (average home sound is about 40-50 dB, but what is an average home sound like?  8O .)  Is FX5 considered quiet filter?  Can somebody compare the noise level among Eheim classic, FX5, and Emperor 400?
    3.  Does Eheim 2260 come with all the needed parts and media in the package?
    4.  If you can pick only one filter for free to be used in your tank, which one will you pick FX5 or 2260?
    5.  Any other positive / negative experience with these two filters?  

Thank you for sharing.

Re: FX5 VS Eheim 2260

Hands down eheim all the way down the charts!

I don't think neither comes with media which adds to the cost. But I would still pay the price of the eheim canister and eheim media over a fluval......personal preferrence I guess.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I will pick Eheim. But $300 for 2260 without media is quite high. I bought mine 2262 (900gph pump) include media for just $80 more.
      100 gal- java fern windelov,anubia petite,xmas moss, crypt,val, sword, riccia fluitans, Sagittaria subulata
      30 gal:e.tenellus,hygrophila wavy,acicularis vivapara,Limnophila aquatica,Hygrophila corymbosa,Hydrocotyle(praecox rainbow,Celestial PD

Comment

This site has the Eheim on sale right now for $259.99.   It doesn't include the media, but looks like it's still less expensive that the one you are looking at on Ebay.

Our Fishhouse
        Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

Thomas,
          Does your 2262 comes with everything needed to run the canister for the price you mentioned?  For example, Eheim 2213 and 2217 both come with hoses, quick connectors (I am not sure if this is the right name.  I mean the connectors between the canister and the inlet or outlet hoses.), media basket, and so on.

Comment

Richard,

I own (2) Eheim 2262's, (1) Eheim 2260, and (2) Fluval FX5's.

The Eheim 2262 is the exact same canister as the EHeim 2260 except it comes with the quick connect valves, and is equiped with the Eheim 1262 pump that flows 900 gph. The filter comes without any media and has room for 18L of media.  It says it is for Aquariums up to 400 gallons, but I think it could handle much larger.

The Eheim 2260 does not come with the quick connect valves, and comes standard with the Eheim 1260 pump that flows 635gph.  The actual listed flow rate of the Eheim 2260 canister is 502gph. The filter comes without media and has the same 18L of room for media.  The filter is for aquariums up to 400 gallons.

Neither one of these filters come with media.  In order to save some money, this is what I used to pack these canisters.
            4L of Eheim Effemech Noodles.
            1-1/2" THK Medium Blue Filter Pad from Jehmco cut to fit.
            (2) 1-gallon Bags of CPR Aquatics BIO-BALE
            Topped off with Charcoal and Filter Floss.  I have also used Un-Cut Bulk Blue Bonded pad here as well.

All of this media can be had for about $50.

The Eheim 2262 is typically $450, and the Eheim 2260 is $250.  In order to save you some more money, the Eheim 2260 there is a used one that comes with valves and media in the fish market from Samuel PM him and see if he still has it.

The FX5 comes with disconnect valves, a pump that flows 925gph, and the listed flow rate of the canister is 607 gph.  It comes with (3) Media Baskets that come equiped with mechanical foam pads, and no other media.  The three media baskets have roomd for an additional 6L of other media.  This is the biggest shortfall of the filter.  I worry that it may not have enough bio-space for media to really handle the advertised Aquarium up to 400 gallons.  I do have 2 of these filters on my 300 gallon.

To compare all three filters, I do not know which aquarium your going to be using this on, but if it is your 125 gallon, I would go with the Eheim 2260 and buy the disconnect valves or even make your own by going and getting PVC union ball valves from a hardware store.  Otherwise you can get the Eheim valves for the suction and discharge for about $80.

Eheim Double Tap Connector Valve - 594 (Discharge) - $30
            Eheim Double Tap Connector Valve - 794 (Suction) - $50

Then get the media I suggested for about $50

This makes your total cost of a new Eheim 2260 with media about $400

Or get Samuel's used one with all Eheim media, and block valves for $275

All three filters make about the same amount of noise.  The FX5 is in the middle.  The 2262 is loudest, and the 2260 is the most quiet.  I will tell you this also, in terms of filtering the 2262 is the best one, and man it puts out some serious flow.  The FX5 hoses and fittings are not real nice to look at.  They are kinda cheap.  The Eheims come with a spray bar, and suction intake, and the Eheim hosing.  Even though they are green, they are well made.  The FX5's are grey/black, and kinda cheap looking with the flexible corregated hosing.

Hope this helps..

Geoff
            380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
            300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
            180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
            150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Thank you geoff.  I will pm Samuel.

Guess what I found while I was browing idea for filters... I found one of your posting on Cichlid-forum in May about 2262.  That was a lot of info there.  Per degree, I am in computer science and engineering management.  I have no idea about plumming and valves.  I am even confused by "intake" and "outlet" tubings.  Intake hose is the suction hose right?  I guess I got my reference points (canister or fish tank) all confused,.. I am getting old I guess.

I just posted some questions about ugf.  I don't mean to frustrate anybody including myself.  But I want those "white floating tiny tiny particle" be gone when I add the next filteration system.

Your information do help. Yes.  

Comment

Richard,

This is what I would do then.  I would get Samuel's 2260 and use that as your bio-filter.  Then take your Eheim 2217 and pack it with nothing but (2) Eheim Blue pads, (3) Eheim Fine Pads, and then filter floss, and then get like a 50 micron pad from Marine Depot and cut it to fit into the very top of the canister.

Shop top saltwater aquarium equipment at Bulk Reef Supply. We carry everything you will need for your saltwater aquarium or reef tank.

Coralife Pure Flow 50 Micron Filter Pad 30 Inch X 36 Inch  - $9.36 each.

This will last you a very long time.  You will most likely have to weekly or bi-weekly replace the filter floss and the micron pad.  Then montly rinse out the coarse blue pad, and repalce 1 of the 3 fine pads.

This will virtually make your Eheim 2217 a pure mechanical filter.

Comment

I would go ahead and leave the Effimech noodles in the bottom as well.

Comment

Geoff,

Should I be concerned about the elbow I clipped on the hose from Eheim 2217 to the fish tank reduced the diameter of the hose and the flow?

Comment

You are going to loose some flow, but you will get a higher discharge pressure as you reduce the hose diameter.

The intake is the suction and on the Eheim's that is the one that goes into the bottom of the canister.  The Discharge (return line) is the one that comes out of the top or from the pump, and is usually attached to a spray bar or sometimes people attach it to a single nozzle.

Comment

Thank you. Intake, outlet, intake, outlet, intake, outlet.....

Each time after I clean up my filter, when I start it back on, a lot of gray stuff (I think they are algae) will come out of the spray bar into the tank.  Does it mean I need to clean the hose also?  My brush is only about 15 inches long.  What should I do?

Comment

I clean my hoses by two different ways.

I get a long pipe cleaner, or there is also a Eheim pipe brush that has a thick "fishline" that you can push thru.

Another way to clean the hoses, is once you disconnect your hoses, get a bucket and place it under the hoses.  Then open the valves and let that drain into the bucket till you get clean water.

Just some ideas..

Comment

Oh, talking about draining tank water into bucket, that is how I got the water I need to wash the EheimMech and EheimSubstrate.  I drain the tank water into two buckets.  Than I took EheimMech to one bucket and Eheimsubstrate to another bucket.  Than I put my hands in one bucket and grab the material and rub them against each other.  Is that all right for the microbacteria?  I mean I want to wash in the way I don't kill them.

Comment

as long as the water is de-chlorinated or aquarium water you will not kill off bacteria.

Comment

Working...
                              X