Synodontis Ocelifer/Eupterus compatibility question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synodontis Ocelifer/Eupterus compatibility question

I've got a fairly large Ocellifer - a very handsome guy.  Particularly spectacular when he sails all around with his fins all extended.  My Eupterus is about the same size as Mr. Ocellifer - same questions appy to him also.  My concern is that my 100 is the only tank either will really fit in and I wanted to have a dozen or so Kuhlii loaches in there.  

Currently, tank has a large piece of driftwood (which is finally NOT floating, thanks to a huge slab of slate) and a splattering of whatever plants I have that survived the move.  Some slate, rocks and petrified wood are placed to make hiding holes for whoever might feel like hiding.  Current residents inclue 4 long-fin rosy barbs, 2 flagfish and Mr. O.  14 or so 4-5" Kuhli's and 1 nearly 3" yoyo are in a bucket on 'standby'...  Mr. Eupterus is hiding in his 45 awaiting a decision.  Tank is 100 gallons - dimension 4' w x 2' d x 20" tall.

The tank has maintained a ph of about 7.4, kh runs around 100 ppm, gh around 90 ppm.

Will my big guys eat them?  Mr. O is ~7" SL (about 9" TL).  Mr. E is only slightly smaller.  I would put my largest Kuhli's in there - the banded variety.  Most of these are 5" or so and bout the diameter of a standard wooden pencil although some are a little fatter.  I know they'd fit in his mouth, but would he actively try to go at them?  The Yo-Yo is almost 3".  I have 2 2" clowns too - would they be safe or are they too small?

I also have a little Ocellifer - he's about 5" TL.  If my big guys are a threat, would the little guy be also?  

Here are some pics - first 2 were from when tank had a 'floating log' in it, 3rd was taken today.

The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
    Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Re: Synodontis Ocelifer/Eupterus compatibility question

The clowns would be fine. My dad has some small clowns (<2") in a tank with 6 eupterus that were 5"+.  No aggression issues. The yoyo would be okay too. I would be a bit worried about the Kuhlis though.

How about you trade the kuhlis to me for some more synos. I want to try to sell them at the next HAS auction.  :wink:

I love the driftwood by the way. I can't wait to see after the anubius takes hold!
    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Thanks, I figured the clowns and yo-yo would probably be OK.  They're both zippy enough, and smart enough to get out of harm's way.  Kuhli's though are just plain goofy and would likely zip right into one of the Syno's mouth!  They don't seem terribly smart in that respect.  They are so kuhl to watch though, with their little wiggling whiskers...

The driftwood was found at a friends house up in Conroe.  It was just laying in the woods so he said I could have it.  Lots of pressure washing and soaking before I felt safe enough to go int the tank.  It was a terrific run of luck that I found it, it's really a beautiful piece (and barely fit in the tank).

I had 4 weather loaches in there, but they stirred up the bottom so much that after 3 weeks of filtering with sponges and floss it was still cloudy.  They just dig too deep.  I don't think kuhlis will dig so deep.

What kind of Syno's do you have anyway??

I may sell some of the Kuhli's at the next HAS auction just to see what they go for.   Might be like winning the lotto!  I've got about 30 of them.  Eventual plan is to set up breeding tanks for each of the 3 species I have and see if I have any luck.  That's a project/topic for another day though...

Comment

My dad has 6 S. eupterus and 1 S. occelifer. I had eupterus fry a while back when they were with peacocks.
        Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
        Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
        Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
        Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

I need to stay away from any more big cats.  At least until I get the really big tank set up.  

I was going to keep one of them - probably Mr. E in my 75 with my Tiawan Reef pair and my Hap 44 trio, but not  even sure those 2 cichlids will work in the same tank together, and I worry that one of the big Syno's may eat the fry (If I'm lucky enough that they breed).  Need to do more cichlid research.....

Comment

30 Khuli's at the next HAS auction, and you'd come away a very happy camper!

Just an awesome piece of driftwood there.  Is it one from the dig?
            380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
            300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
            180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
            150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

No, the wood came from a friends place way out in the woods around conroe.  It was laying not far from his "natural" pond - which is 100% controlled by mother nature.  I saw it laying there and said  - wow, that would look awesome in a tank!  so they said I could have it.

The wood from the dig is all lighter in color and more 'spindly' looking.  it's still withthe rock, waiting to be pressure washed.

Comment

Update - YoYo is doing fine.  Added 3 more flagfish - total flags is 5 now.  Next to add is one of my larger longfin bristlenose guys and a flying fox (or 2).

The tank has cleared up a bit.  My fears that the flags would nip at the longfin rosies are no more. I guess they have enough room to explore elsewhere.  Toying with the idea of putting my Brochis in there - they're about 2"-3" so I think Mr. O wouldn't bother them but I'm not sure I want them rooting around in the substrate.

Comment

Working...
                X