Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tropheus Moorii Kachese - Fry at last!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tropheus Moorii Kachese - Fry at last!!!!

I have been watching my kachese during feeding time and I noticed that there are two or three fish that attempt to go after the food but do not eat it. I have seen my lemon yellows and red zebras do the same thing when holding. Will it be really noticable if they are holding and if they are how long do they hold before spitting. I think it would be to soon for them to be holding, but you never know.
    150G Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
    125G Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
    115G Tanganyikan

Re: Tropheus Moorii Kachese - Holding?????

Al, I have seen that too with my Chimba's here at work. Although, I have no real experience with breeding troph's, I believe the behaviour your seeing is related to some stage of mouth brooding.

CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Al,

These Kachese were eating HBH Veggie Graze and HBH Super Soft Spirulina Pellets.  If they are not eating, it could be an issue.

What food are you feeding them?

Take care,

Geoff
      380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
      300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
      180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
      150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Geoff,

Mike, mentioned that he was feeding the Kachese HBH, but I was not sure exactly which food from HBH. I went ahead and ordered some HBH Veggie Graze last week. I am feeding them Tetra Colorbits which they really prefer over some O.S.I. Spirulina Pellets. I have also fed them some fresh romaine lettuce that I cut into strips and put on a veggie clip (they really liked that too).

Thanks for the info
        Al
        115G Tanganyikan

Comment

This fish that are not eating now, were they eating 2 weeks ago when you picked the fish up?  what I mean by that is are they just now not eating or they have never ate since bringing them home?

Also the fish were acclimated to pH 8.2

What is the pH of your water?

Comment

Geoff,

I am not sure if the fish in question were eating before or not, I really didn't pay that much attention before. My water parameters are...

Ammonia 0
            Nitrates 20
            PH 8.2

If by some chance they are holding should I leave them in the tank with the rest of the colony?
            115G Tanganyikan

Comment

If the fish are holding their mouths will look "puffy" and full and their throats expanded.

I have always left my holding females in the tank.  I prefer this because it is more natural to have the female release fry into the tank, and it also makes it a lot easier than having to re-introduce her into the colony.  You will generally produce less fry in this way because more will get eaten, but removing her into a holding tank can sometimes be more problematic, but does yeild more fry because the female is more relaxed and she is the only fish in there.

If the fish does not look like its holding, it could be bloat.  

Is there anyway you could post a picture of the fish that are not eating?

Take care,

Geoff

Comment

dang I have three females holding now!

Comment

Geoff,

I will try and get some pics this evening.

Delock - What kind do you have?

Al
                  115G Tanganyikan

Comment

I think you should probably ditch the color bits.

Try and watch those that are not eating.....they should have large bulges in their throat if not then like Geoff said these could be signs/warnings of problems. I have females that will hold a fairly large clutch and still eat  but just not as much as the others.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Some pics of Kachese.

115G Tanganyikan

Comment

Re: Tropheus Moorii Kachese - Holding????? - Now with PICS

The one in the back of the last picture looks like she's holding.
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

beautiful fishies...thanks for sharing....keep us updated with the new arrivals.....

Comment

Good eye EK that is one of the ones I was trying to get a good picture of. We'll see what happens.

Thanks fishlady.

Alfonso
                            115G Tanganyikan

Comment

Re: Tropheus Moorii Kachese - Holding????? - I have fry!!!!!

I came home Sunday to find 4 Kachese fry in the aquarium, they are now in a 5 gallon hex aquarium. I wonder how many were eaten. I still have two kachese holding and I am thinking of maybe moving them to another tank by themselves.

115G Tanganyikan

Comment

Working...
                              X