Performance of Odyssea Internal filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance of Odyssea Internal filter

Odyssea powerhead sponge filter's prices are inexpensive.  Are they quiet?  How long do they last?  Is it easy to maintain it?

Re: Performance of Odyssea Internal filter

I believe them to be fairly quiet, but I'm not an expert on them, I've only been using them for about 8 months now. I have had no problems with the sponges on them and for the money I paid, I feel I got a good deal.

CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Thank you, CF. Should I set it up below the water surface or toward the bottom of the tank?  What model of the Odyssea do you use and how big is the tank?

Comment

well...if indeed you got the 550, that sucker is going to be strong enough to pick up everything off the bottom including sleeping fish. I would place it about 3 inches below the surface and direct the water surge up towards the surface at an angle that will not create too much tribulence on the surface. You want a little break of the surface, but not so much that the water is splashing up onto the glass lids.

I was thinking of getting one of those and hooking up a plumbing system where the return water was directed via eheim return line tubing over the bottom of my tank, just to try that, to see if it would eliminate any dead spots.

CF

PS...plus, i dont like the looks of electrical cords running down the length of my tanks.

PSPS...i have two 350's and 2 250's, i use them in 125' and my 75's.
        Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

I haven't used powerhead so I have no idea how strong the water will come out 350 gph vs 550 gph.  The Eheim 2217 I have pump 263 gph doesn't create much wave at all.  The price difference between EX350 and EX550 is 4 dollars difference so if I can adjust the flowrate on the 550 I might go with it.  

Comment

as i have mentioned in previous threads, the 550 maybe a bit strong or powerful in a 125 gallon tank, I would buy one, but maybe pick up a 350 as well. You may find you dont' want to use the 550 in a 125 unless you have a way to tone it down somehow, maybe the return could be channeled thru a home made extended return tube or pipe of some kind.

You probably will be happy with the 250 and the 350, but try a 550 anyway and see if you notice a big difference between it and the 350.

CF

Comment

I would place it so that the top of the top of the powerhead is right below the water surface....place it in the corner and point it to the opposite corner.

As for noise level, it's a cheapie powerhead and you get what you pay for but there's always good ones. I had a few and all but one works perfectly...one of them melted the rubber isolater things that go on the impeller shaft. I had three in my 135g running the UGF and it did fine.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

If I go with EX350, do I need to have 2 of them?

Comment

As cheap as they are, I'd buy two or three and if you don't think two of them are needed, you can always use it in another tank or sell it for 15.00 to me..... :)

CF

Comment

I've been using the 350's and 250's - 1- 250 on 30 gal tanks and 1 350 on my 65, 2 350's on my 72 bow and 3 -350's on my 125 - actually 2 would be enough but the 125 was a bit crowded.

I find them to be quiet and for 12-$15 each you can't beat them. In the past year I had 1 250 go bad and the dealer replaced it - no hassel.

I'm going to try a 550 on my other 125.

Comment

In the size tank you are wanting to put them in, the filtration that it's lacking and what you are expecting out of these odysseas....I would get about 3.
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

If I add another Eheim 2217 instead of sponge filters, besides the cost of the canister, it also costs me around $8.00 a month (one carbon pad and one fine pad.)  And there is no garantee I can get ride of the white particle.  I've been change the water weekly which cut down the white particles a lot but when I tested the water 24 hours after water change, the Nitrate level was still around 40 ppm (it was about 80 ppm before water change - I use "about" because the color chart for 40 ppm and 80 ppm are very very close and hard to tell them apart.)

I am afraid of wet/dry system because I can't do no plumbing.  

If I have 2 Eheim 2217, how often do I need to service them?  Do I still need a powerhead to filter out the white particles?

Comment

If you have two eheims, I would set one up for mechanical/chemical filtration and the other for biological filtration. That way, you can do regular maintenance on one, and let the other go for 6 months or so. I don't use eheim parts, but there should be a way to reuse the "fine pad" without having to buy a new one every month...

I don't blame you on being afraid of wet dry systems. I was scrared of them initally too. They aren't so bad once you understand how everything works.

I hesitate to say whether or not you would still need the powerhead to filter out white particles. I will say this:
                          The more filtration, the fewer particle you'll see.  :)  Try adding one first, and if you still aren't satisfied, add the other.
                          Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                          Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                          Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                          Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Hi Armthehomeless,
                            Congradulation for your new 7' tank.  It is beautiful.  You must spend a lot on it.

The Eheim 2217 I have came with o-ring, substrate, and various pads.  That is all I know to set up Eheim.  I am not sure how to set up one as mechanical/chemical filtration and the other as biological filtration?

Do you use different canister than Eheim?  I bought Eheim because a lot of peopel praize it.  I am open for different canister as long as they are quiet and easy to work with.

Comment

RichardChen - Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad that it looks like I pent alot on it. In actuality, I spent less than $600 total. That enabled me to spend a little more more to get the fish that I wanted.  :wink:

Eheims are indeed great filters, and I have never had a problem with one. There are people on this site that have a great deal more experience than I, but I'll see if I can tide you over for now. Perhaps others can share their experiences as well. This is how I would set up two canisters. One would contain carbon, zeolite, or whatever sort of chemical filtratration devices you want to put in the filter. I just tie them up in ladies' hosiery (lets ignore why I have ladies' hosiery lying around) and make a knot at each end. Perhaps I would put some type of course and then fine sponge at the top of the canister. The other filter would have mostly ceramic media/lava rocks in it to colonize beneficial bacteria. This one would not need to be changed as often.

The filters I run on my tanks are as follows:
                              210: Fluval FX5 & Rena XP2
                              150: Wet / Dry and ProQuatics 3600 Canister(no longer manufactured)
                              92: Eheim 2028 Professional
                              80: Fluval 404

Personally, I like Renas and Eheims.
                              Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                              Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                              Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                              Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Working...
                              X