Tank Lights will not come on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank Lights will not come on

They came on on a regular basis and now nothing.  They are 3-4 bulbs hooked up to a ballast, then a timer.  I hooked up the ballast w/o timer and nothing.  I am thinking ballast, but does that sound right?  Can it just go out like that?  Also, how much do they usually run?  thanks...

Re: Tank Lights will not come on...

Probably the balast, or the wiring. Did you try plugging anything else into the same socket that the lights were plugged in?

Comment

yeah ballast is like a light buld.  it will go out the same.  whatever inside of one will break or whatever.  i had 3 go out in one week. i was pissed cause everytime i turend around lights were goin out.

Comment

Depending how you got the bulbs wired you could have one bulb that burnt out and caused it to break the circuit killing off the rest....but most likely it's a bad ballast.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

have you checked your circuit breaker ?   And payed your electric bill ?  
          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

lol...the socket is ok and my bill is paid.  I wouldn't be able to get on the computer otherwise =P

My pump, heater and everything else is working on the same surge protector.  The plug is wired to the ballast, then there are wires leaving the ballast to the bulbs.  Each bulb is connected to the other.  How do I check the bulbs or ballast?  I would hate to buy something I dont need...

Comment

A VOM test meter is available at Radio Shack and other stores for less than $ 10.  Iat needs batteries to test the wires.

To check the wiring unplug the power and set your VOM to ohms (resistance) touch the red and black probes together and if you hear a buzzer then the battery in the VOM is good and you are ready to start.
              touch one end of a wire with the red probe and the other end with the black probe if you do not hear the buzzer you have a bad wire.
              Repete this for each wire connected to the ballest. (both sides)

If all the wires are good then you need a new ballest.

for more info on ballasts go to

Flourescent bulbes get dimmer with age and should be changed after 12 months.  Use a permanant marker to write the date on the bulb when you install it and it will help you remember when it is time to replace it.  

Personallly, I like using cheap 4' flourescent shop lights.
              If the fixture does not light up I replace the $2 bulb.  If it still doesent work I take out the new bulb and replace the $10 fixture.
              If you watch for sales, you can get spare fixtures even cheaper.
              'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
              He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

it ended up being a fuse in the ballast that went out.  replaced it and i now have 3 spare for 2.99 at radio shack.  gotta love it...

Thanks for all the help guys...

Comment

Learn something every day, I was not aware that ballast's had fuses in them....who'da thunk it..... :)

CF
                  Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Check the ballast for a fuse, had an ice cap ballast that a fuse built in to protect it from surges.

If wired in series, try replacing all 4 bulbs (buy from a store that will take returns on bulbs) see if they work (if so, ballast is okay) and then us process of elimination to weed out the bad bulb/bulbs.

The VOM test is a great recommendation as well to test wiring, would do that next, then replace ballast.
                    Drew

Comment

Glad you fixed it cheap!  Sorry for the late post.
                      Drew

Comment

OMG...my lights are out AGAIN.  This time there is a flicker of the first bulb, so I thought it was the bulbs this time.  I took them to the store to be tested and they are all fine.  So it is the ballast.  I have an Ice Cap 430-008.  Should I just buy another or try and fix it?  Anyone have any input?  Thanks

Comment

probably go with the ballast,being that the bulbs are good. Did you check the wiring?  Bulbs, ballast, then wiring. DVOM meter is a must in any house hold, you need to buy one asap.

Comment

Speaking of DVOM.......have one in the trunk of my car and had to break it out today cause our dryer stopped working.
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Apparently Icecap will fix your ballast for you.  I sent it in and am awaiting a response.  

Right now I have a ballast, hooked up to 4 bulbs, 2 white and 2 the blue stuff.  What are the best setups for energy and output?  I am wondering if there is something better I can do w/ my ballast and setup.  Thanks...

Comment

Working...
                              X