Split fins and Stress Coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split fins and Stress Coat

Three days ago my Black Lyretail Sailfin birthed some fry; the next day I saw her tailfin and sailfin had split in three places, I have no idea how.
    I put her in my 20, and put in a good dose of Stress Coat Additive, and tonight her biggest split has healed. It's amazing; I've had other fish split their tails, mostly Guppies, and it took quite a while for them to heal.
    Is this unusual, or does Stress Coat really help heal split fins?
    Working for a better Future for my Fish!

Sailfin Mollies, Plecos, Corys,, 1 lonely Jewel Cichlid

Re: Split fins and Stress Coat

melafix is awesome.
    stuff stinks so dont get it on ur fingers. lol

Comment

I use Stress Coat all the time, and also add a little aquarium salt.  But I have cichlids so I don't know if it's the same with all types of fish.  But to answer your question, Stress Coat is a staple in our house.   :)
      Our Fishhouse
      Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

well isnt that type of fish a molly?  if so dont they like salt?   when i have torn fins, i use melafix, and salt.    that stuff works wonders.  stress coat is good but i usually only use it if i moved the fish or something like that.

Comment

Stress Coat is an excellent chlorine/chloramine remover, but the label says the aloe and stuff in the formula is good for healing split fins and other injuries. And it's not a sweet smelling mixture either, but I get it pretty cheap at Ken's Fish site.
          As for salt, what I have read at FishGeeks is while salt for sailfins is not needed, it does keep tank diseases down; although Sailfins can live in salt or brackish as well as fresh water, they don't need it for any other reason.
          I put some occasionally in the tank, but I don't keep it dosed to the specs on the container.

I was just wondering if the fins would have healed almost as fast without the Stress Coat added, or if it really aided in healing the fins.
          They were split badly, and yet 3 days later the tailfin split has healed completely, and I have hope for the other 2 areas.
          Working for a better Future for my Fish!

Sailfin Mollies, Plecos, Corys,, 1 lonely Jewel Cichlid

Comment

Stress Coat (or more specifically aloe) does help in my experience. Things do heal faster when aloe is used.
            Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
            Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
            Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
            Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

i think it keeps fins soft enough to heal  watch out for the aloe slick on top of water though.....

Comment

Working...
              X