water filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water filter

hey can a water purifier from say home depot or lowes that takes out chlorine and heavy metals, would that work to run the water through before i put it in my tanks with out haveing to use chemical chlorine removers???   if so what would i have to do to the water if anything??

Re: water filter

I've heard of people using RO (reverse osmosis) filters for their aquarium water, but not sure about a plain jane water purifier.  Don't those just run the water through a carbon filter?
    Our Fishhouse
    Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

I know delock, walter? And Navarro use some type of big carbon filter which will remove impurities from the tap.

Eventually I plan on looking into some sort of industrial carbon filter myself to simplify things a bit.

With Reverse Osmosis you would need to add back trace elements and then bring the parameters back what is desired by the fish.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

the filters from home depot and lowes etc... are really not quite enough IMO. The flow rate is too fast and not enough of the chlorine is removed. If you live in Houston, the city uses chlorimines and not chlorine, that means that carbon filters will remove the chlorine but leave behind ammonia....you would need to limit the size of your water changed to the capacity of your filtration to remove the ammonia
        I use a combination of filters in 20" housings.... I run thru sediment filters first... a 10 mircon followed by a 5 micron followed by two 20"carbon blocks followed by a container with 150 pounds of zeolite, followed by sediment filter and a final filter of .5 micron.... that is for my grow out tanks...
        for all my breeding pairs I use R/O water with a remix of filtered city water.. that way you do not need to add back any trace elements.
        GIVE NONE, TAKE NONE - BE FREE, HAVE FUN

Comment

Yeah, alot of the chemicals we try to keep out of our tanks, manages to get by most common water filters. Count on only a small percentage actually reduced by them. It's better than nothing of course.

CF
          Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa";p="
            I know delock, walter? And Navarro use some type of big carbon filter which will remove impurities from the tap.

Eventually I plan on looking into some sort of industrial carbon filter myself to simplify things a bit.

With Reverse Osmosis you would need to add back trace elements and then bring the parameters back what is desired by the fish.

Yeap.... a carbon bottle is what I use...

Comment

I also use a carbon block as well.
              Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
              Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
              Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

when you use a carbon block, what do you have to add to the water before you put it in the tank??

Comment

IF your flow rate thru the carbon block is slow enough and you do small water changes so that your CYCLED filter can handle the ammonia left behind by the carbon block, you will not need to do anything to the water.... but if you do large water changes you will need to do something about the ammonia left behind when the carbon removes the chlorine from the chlorimine that the city uses, it will also vary from time to time as the city varies the percentage of chlorimine based on rainfall and temperature, it can easily swing 3 to 4 parts per million in one day and with out notice. If you stay at 20% or less water changes you will probably be all right, but if you do 50% or larger water changes like I do, your fish will suffer, that is the reason I use the zeolite, it will remove the ammonia... I aslo suggest the use of sediment filters, if you are trying to elemenate the use of additives, it does not cost that much more to do it right....
                  I use multiple 20" carbon blocks with a tee between each one, I regularly monitor the water at the Tee and when I see any sign of chlorine (use an otc kit) I move the second filter to the number one spot and put a new filter in the number two spot, saves on filter expense....
                  GIVE NONE, TAKE NONE - BE FREE, HAVE FUN

Comment

Obed,

Any pictures or prior posts on the DIY forum on how you set up this filter.  I use a 2 stage sediment and carbon filter into a 55 gallon drum to age water for water changes now.  Wonder if I could upgrade the system using some of your experience?  Thanks for sharing.
                    Drew

Comment

I use a 10m paper filter for sediment, then a carbon filter for chlorine then feed my 40g sump with a 1/4" tube to a float valve.  Then from the sump to a UV steralizer and a 5 micron paper filter.  The level switch keeps up with evaporation and 10g water changes while the 1/4" tube limits the flow rate.
                      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

nice thanks guys for the info

Comment

Working...
                        X