Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low light, low tech tank 100 gal

Hello guys and gals,

I have figured out that daily Excel, daily ADA fertilizers, high light and weekly water change in my 100gal planted tank is not a good long-termed run. So, I have decided to change it to a low light, low tech tank. I already started the plan for 2 days.

1. Reduced lighting: 288W (8 hours) -------------------------------------> 192W ( 6 hours)
    2. Reduced CO2:     Daily 10ml Excel + 16 hr air pump   --------------> weekly 10ml Excel + 17 hr air pump
    3. Reduced Nutrient: 15ml of Brightly K, ADA step 2 every 3days-----> NONE
    4. Biweekly 30% water change -------------------------------------------> Monthly 20% WC

Is there anyone here that is having a low light low tech planted tank, please share your experiences. Anyone here please feel free to criticize. That is the reason we meet here :)
    100 gal- java fern windelov,anubia petite,xmas moss, crypt,val, sword, riccia fluitans, Sagittaria subulata
    30 gal:e.tenellus,hygrophila wavy,acicularis vivapara,Limnophila aquatica,Hygrophila corymbosa,Hydrocotyle(praecox rainbow,Celestial PD

Re: Low light, low tech tank 100 gal

What is the point of the air pump....looks like you were working against yourself the whole time.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

May be you are right. I first thought since no CO2 injected, so O2 produced by photosynthesis is impossible to be enough for the 2 discus and the jardini.
      Please tell me more about your P.O.V. Maybe there is some knowledge that I missed.  :o . Thanks, EK
      100 gal- java fern windelov,anubia petite,xmas moss, crypt,val, sword, riccia fluitans, Sagittaria subulata
      30 gal:e.tenellus,hygrophila wavy,acicularis vivapara,Limnophila aquatica,Hygrophila corymbosa,Hydrocotyle(praecox rainbow,Celestial PD

Comment

No co2 with the amount of light and the ada ferts is referred to as an imbalance.....no equilibrium in your tank.....probably why you have so much trouble with algae.

Somewhere, somehow you need to have all of it.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

You misunderstood. I have the hair algae among the HC foreground in the 30gal. I will keep it as high light since it has pressured Co2, and very good light system. I just put in 1 amano shrimp and hope it will finish up all of the hair/thread w/o interfering the CRS.

Now, the tank that I want to switch to low tech is my 100gal with jardini. Do you still think 192W is too much for this tank to go low light/ low tech? Fertilizer will be cut be to zero unless any sign of nutrient desuffience showed.

Comment

Still an imbalance.

Cut it to 100-150w with about 8hr photoperiod.

Plants need light, co2 and nutrients to live,grow and look good. Base your decision on that. Also keep in mind that low means low light requirement plants.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

you shouldnt do any water changes to keep the fertilizers in the water.
              ADA mini-m planted
              ADA mini-m riparium
              ADA 30-C nano reef
              ADA 90-P community Tanganyikan
              ADA 120-p overflow Full reef in progress
              Eheim 90cm SA biotope
              110g Peacocks

Comment

True, many people do 10% WC for 3-4 months, but I will have to see how the nitrate/ammonia level.

Comment

Thomas,
                  Don't worry, it looks like your tank should be fine. Unfortunately there is no general prescription/recipe for any tank. Each tank is one of a kind and you are in the best position to figure out how to tweak the conditions to get what you want. Like Ek says you need to find the equilibrium which is specific and different for each tank. The light might be a little bit to high without fertilizers, observe plants and algae. The air pump will not do any harm it will just help to mix the water. Water changes are not necessary at all unless your tank is severely overpopulated, check ammonia, NO2 and NO3  from time to time. All you need to do is to be a good observer and use your "knowledge" and common sense.
                  Good luck,
                  Bogdan

Comment

Thank you for the encouragement. I deeply appreciate comments from everyone in here, and will try to update this tank from time to time.

Comment

The tank before rearrangement. It is not bad, even though plants do show some growth in plain gravel in conjunction with liquid fertilizer daily.

Thanks to Aquasoil from Tom, I did some changes, and here is what the tank look like. The water is lots clouder, but i hope it will get the sparking look soon.

Comment

Brown ramshorn snail appears on the sword leaves. SHould I leave it alone or remove it? There are both pro and con on other website. What will you do?

Comment

NUKE THE TANK!
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

What is that?

Comment

Hi Thomas,

I like your tank, especially the driftwood with moss and fern. What kind of substrate do you have (asking about the white one), and the rocks, is this a limestone?
                              Did you check pH and hardness in this tank?  I think you may have hard water and relatively high pH which is not the best environment for discuss as far`as I know. I think Walter is a local discus "Guru" so he can advise you on that topic. Don't see many stem plants, is that a plan or still "under construction"? Oh and the snails, IMO they are important part of the tank, if you don't overfeed your fish the number of snails will stay low. That is my personal experience.
                              Good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X