What's the correct number of Amano Shrimp for a planted tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the correct number of Amano Shrimp for a planted tank

I have a 20 gallon planted tank.   There's another tread about me setting it up a few months back.  It's pretty well established now.  

Flourite substrate,  65wt 10,000K bulb running 9 hours per day. Weekly 20% water change (with dosing of Excel and Flourish).   Starting to get some green spot algae (I clean the sides with a razor blade at water changes) and some algae on my driftwood.  

Question is, is there some ballpark number of the number of Amano Shrimp I should put in the tank ?  I currently have 2.

Re: What's the correct number of Amano Shrimp for a planted

Amano don't eat spot algae...After having my run in with them....no Amano shrimp for any tank that has foreground.

Otocinclus or Nerites is what you are looking for to handle the spot algae but they probably won't eat it either so keep with the razor.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

If you can't find nerites, mystery snails work pretty good too. They'll usually leave live plants alone preferring decaying matter; they'll roll over and grab everything like little zero gravity vacuums. But they get big really fast, will eat other creatures' food and unlike nerites they will breed in your tank (actually more like out of your tank).

Comment

Ehhh, Mystery snails only get Golf ball size... That's not too bad. If you want smaller snails that don't eat plants, look for some Spixis. They stay really tiny! But, they will breed in your tank and lay jelly-like clutches, but they are really easy to remove. Just be sure, if you do get snails, to actually feed the snails algae wafers after they clean up your tank for you or they could starve and die. Good luck!

Rebekah

Comment

I like japanese trapdoor snails myself. Cool shape, dark business-like color, supposedly pretty cold-hardy and they're live-bearers which can be a good or bad thing. The only place in houston I know that has them though is Nelson's Water Garden in Katy.

Comment

I'm hitting a few LFS tomorrow looking for a deal on a 20 gal tank, so I'll take the names of the snails with me and see what I can find.  I think City Pets had Otocinclus last time I was there, so I'll check on that also.   Thanks for the advice !

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Got a couple of Oto Cats at City Pets, couldn't find any Nerites.

Comment

May I ask how much for each Oto cat, and how big they are at CP?
                  100 gal- java fern windelov,anubia petite,xmas moss, crypt,val, sword, riccia fluitans, Sagittaria subulata
                  30 gal:e.tenellus,hygrophila wavy,acicularis vivapara,Limnophila aquatica,Hygrophila corymbosa,Hydrocotyle(praecox rainbow,Celestial PD

Comment

FishGallery has lots of ocats as well and they usually run like 10/$30 or something like that......at least for the Nigers I believe.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Petsmart used to sell them for less than $2 if i remember right?

Comment

I don't remember actually how much they are at Fish Gallery but I do know that with a group purchase you get a discount.....and they are the only ones I have seen with the Niger ocats and even the zebra ocat at one time.
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                        X