dwarf corydoras - anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dwarf corydoras - anyone?

Anyone have a crew of dwarfs?  Pygmaeus, Hastatus or Habrosus?  I've seen/purchased the Pygmaeus at Fish Gallery, but they don't have the other 2 species (which I got online).  I would like to add a bit of a mix to the ones I have to create some varied genes.  If anyone wants to do the same how about a trade?

Also, (if anyone does have any of these) have you been able to successfully breed them?
    The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
    Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Re: dwarf corydoras - anyone?

I have....12 or so pygmaeus! I'll post some pictures if I can find them, just took some recently. But I love them too much to give any up.  :(  :)

I just transferred them to my "new" 30 cube, and haven't been able to customize anything yet for the killies and cories in there, so no luck with breeding as of yet.
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Where did you find them?  

I'm hoping to get at least the Hastatus group to breed.  They're pretty interesting since they're more of a mid-level swimmer, unlike most cories.  They can usually be find in the ferns and on leaves rather than on the substrate.

Comment

Bump.

PhishPhreek has me very interested in dwarf/pygmy cories now.  My favorite fish that I've ever kept were my albino cories, so dwarf cories sound perfect for my current project.

Comment

Fish Gallery carries the pygmies.  They had some when I was there Monday.  Black darter tetras stay small and are attractive too.  I have some of those in one of my dwarf cory tanks.

Comment

Whoops! I forgot to answer where I got them.  :)  I got 10 at Fish Gallery, and have 2 remaining from when I lived in Florida. How are yours doing, Spot? Any luck?

Comment

First I've got to finish getting my hatch/fry tank ready for the Ivantsoffi's who should hatch within the next few days.   So I have't started concentrating on breeding them yet, time being the enemy…  I've got to set up some tanks for the dwarfs (or would it be dwarves?) .  I'm thinking of taking a 10 gallon tank, cutting glass slightly smaller than the inner dimensions of the tank, and standing the glass against the 4 tank walls.  My other cories leave eggs on the glass, and if the dwarfs do the same, I can just remove the glass panes and either remove the eggs into a hatching tank and put the glass back in, or put fresh pieces of glass back in the tank.  I'd like to separate the 3 species, for tracking purposes, but I've read several logs from other breeders and have noted that often when in a shared tank, one group spawning will prompt others in the same tank, or on the same central filtration system to also spawn possibly due to hormones or such in the water.  

Hopefully I'll have something set up by the years end.  I also want to try getting my Brochis to spawn too :).  My little albino babies (hatched Thanksgiving weekend) are swimming around all over, and even look like little catfish now - they're really cute to watch.

Comment

The glass pane idea sounds great - I have read about people doing just that, and it works for them. How many of each species do you have? I've heard the same thing that sharing water with other breeders can induce spawning. Maybe set up some sort of system of 3-5g tanks with a connecting filtration system? (Like a mini-Scott-garage...hehe)

Good luck, let us know what you end up doing.  :)

Comment

Working...
                X