Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clamp or some sort of paracite?

This is a two parter:

I was gone over the weekend.  Fed on Friday and asked a friend to feed on Sunday.  I get back today and have noticed that one of my danios has a really torn up tail fin and on one side it look like a small wound, with possibly some sort of looking thing on it that I assume could be a paracite.  He also looks thin and has a sunken in stomach (I know male danios many times have sunken in stomachs when you buy them but I keep mine well fed).  He possibly has other red areas on the same side.  Could someone help with a diagnosis and treatment?  No other fish have signs of infection.

And in another tank I have guppies that I have been trying to remove anchor worm.  Jungle Tabs are complete wastes of money and I have tried medicated food but I can't get the guppies to eat it.  Whats a preferred treatment for this?

Re: Clamp or some sort of paracite?

Originally posted by djmatthewblack";p="
    with possibly some sort of looking thing on it that I assume could be a paracite.  
    I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here...What does the thing look like?
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I am not totally sure, the fish is small, quick moving and hard to see.  Today I checked and it mostly looks like a small wound.  There was what looked like a white dot on the wound.  The torn up tailfin and the weight drop is the most evident.  I am wondering if I should try some sort of generic paracite killer in a med tank.

Comment

Is there any way you can take a picture? No use treating for parasites if that's not what it is...
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Unfortunately, no.  The fish is small and movies around fast and I haven't ever been able to get good pictures with my camera in my tank.  The tailfin has several tears in it and the fish has dropped weight.  The little white dot isn't on the red area, it just looks like a small wound now.

Comment

It is sitting on the bottom of the tank.  Most likely nothing can be done now.

Comment

I had that same thought with a brichardi....
              I moved him to a very small tank, put some binox in with him...
              He wouldn't let me catch him until two days ago...and he had wedged himself  at the top.  
              I put him in the small tank, and now he has a ton of energy and is eating again.
              I think the key was the binox, the safe environment, no light or stress for a little while...
              Kind of like us... sometimes it takes a little tlc ;-)
              Good luck with your fish
              5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
              20 sw cube - a few damsels and a colony of bristleworms
              29 fw - self cloning crayfish..which can't seem to clone haha
              29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
              29 fw - crs/ amano/tiger shrimp /assassins/ whiptails/ plants/ 3 emerald cories
              55 fw - steatocranus casaurius (20ish)/ tetras/ rainbows/large Jack Dempsey
              75 fw - large Jack Dempseys / pictus cat/ yoyo loach/ Red gippicep
              / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

Yeah, it was definetely a bacteria related issue.  I did a water change and put in some Melafix, although it was a little too late.

I still can't get rid of the anchor worm in my guppy tank.  There is only 4 of them in this huge 20 gallon.  I have found guppies so prone to paracites.  I think I am done with that breed.

thanks dblondfemme.  Does binox require you to remove carbon filtering like with melafix?

Comment

yup it does.
                  From my understand you should remove the carbon anytime you are treating with anything other than simple aqaurium/marine salt.  Binox has cured many different ailments in my tanks.  I highly recommend it although your tanks tend to stay yellowish for about 10 tank cleanings.  For me it's worth it AND my seams/rocks/light colored fish do not remain blue for enternity lol.
                  5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
                  20 sw cube - a few damsels and a colony of bristleworms
                  29 fw - self cloning crayfish..which can't seem to clone haha
                  29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
                  29 fw - crs/ amano/tiger shrimp /assassins/ whiptails/ plants/ 3 emerald cories
                  55 fw - steatocranus casaurius (20ish)/ tetras/ rainbows/large Jack Dempsey
                  75 fw - large Jack Dempseys / pictus cat/ yoyo loach/ Red gippicep
                  / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

For anchor worms,I have always used Dimilin, but I keep goldfish, and so it might be a good idea to look up the effects on guppies if any...I know for my tanks I can also use Program (usually for dogs etc.) it is the Lufenuron that actually does the work. The Program is really safe with the goldfish, but again worth checking out, as I have never used it on fish that small. They both also work on fish lice really well.

Comment

The reason medications tell you to remove the carbon, is because carbon is designed to clean the water by removing anything except H2O.  Therefore it will filter out any medications you add to the tank.  

I'll second dblondfemme's suggestion for binox.  It's worked great on my guppies, mollies and various other fish of various problems.
                      The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
                      Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

Working...
                      X