Planted Tank Basics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planted Tank Basics

Let's say that after the holidays, I'm going to try my hand at a planted tank.

What are some of the basics I will need to be concerned with up front?
    What would be the best size tank to start with?
    Will I eventually need to sink some cash into a CO2 rig as well?
    Are planted tanks more expensive to run and maintain than "fish tanks"?

I know this information maybe archived in the back pages somewhere, so use links if you prefer

Thanks

CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Re: Planted Tank Basics

What are some of the basics I will need to be concerned with up front?
    Plants need light to photosynthesize, nutrients to grow, co2 to aid in that.
    rexgrigg.com

What would be the best size tank to start with?
    Usually small tanks are easier on the wallet when it comes to the gear needed as well as fertilizers and co2 but harder to find nice hardscape for

Will I eventually need to sink some cash into a CO2 rig as well?
    Any planted tank will benefit from co2 and it rewards well!

Are planted tanks more expensive to run and maintain than "fish tanks"?
    I would say, yes.

The whole planted fish tank section has lots of info......there are lots of sites that will help a great deal too and one of them being rexgrigg.com
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I'll be browsing thru the history, to get some tips and pointers.

Thanks
      Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

also there is www.aquaticplantcentral.com check it out its how i found HFB
        Never fear I is here
        David Abeles
        Vice President
        Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Well APC as well as Plantedtank.net are forums in which you would have to dig around for the info.....on Rexgrigg.com he has it listed on tabs for you.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Howdy,

I would have to agree with everthing that EK says.  Some of the most beautiful planted tanks we have seen have CO2 & better lighting plus they probably fertilize these tanks.  They can grow many of the fancy plants w can't grow in our tanks.

It has taken us a couple years to find the right plants but we now have 3-30 gallon tall tanks that are beautiful with no CO2 but we do have two sets of the 30 gallon single light strips on each tank and run for 12 -14 hours a day.  Two of the tanks have sandblasting sand and one tank has 1/2" gravel.  We do not fertilize the plants.  I think picking the right plants is the key.  I will see if Mark can take photos of the 3 tanks.  Here are some of the plants we have growing in these tanks.  Later, ken

Java fern three types
            Java moss
            Ricca
            Ludwigia repens with red tips
            Hygrophila
            Vallisneria two types - the curlly type is doing good that I bought at the last HAS auction
            Cryptocoryne two types
            Cambomba caroliniana
            Two types of fox tails that are different species and not hornwort - EK, I need you to name these for me
            Bolbitis heudelotii
            Water sprite
            Najis

Comment

I appreciate all the tips and comments, I'll probably start up something in January.

I'll look back on this thread for reference material.

I don't really plan on using CO2, I just would like something pleasing to look at and stick a few nice pansy fish in and maybe a shrimp or two.

Thanks

CF

Comment

CF, you dont HAVE to have CO2 to have a nice tank.  I set up a nice little nano tank for the GF with low maintenance in mind.  The plant list islander provided is helpful but there are also many other plants that can thrive without CO2.  You can supplement with Fluorish Excel as well.  Get a good light, filter,  and make sure you are religious with the water changes and the results will show.  I would recommend starting with a smaller tank like a 20L.  You do not want a "high" tank.  With a shorter height dimension, light will not have to travel as far to reach your plants.  Initial cost for a planted tank is much higher than that of a "fish" tank but after that, its cheaper.  All you do is trim the plants and change the water.  Good luck.

Heres the little 8 gallon in my GF apartment.  No CO2, No ferts.  Just water changes with half RO/DI and half tap.  Plants are rotala indica, wisteria, java moss, and cabomba.  3 watts/gallon and HOB filter.  

ADA mini-m planted
                ADA mini-m riparium
                ADA 30-C nano reef
                ADA 90-P community Tanganyikan
                ADA 120-p overflow Full reef in progress
                Eheim 90cm SA biotope
                110g Peacocks

Comment

Very nice....Acrylic tank, Compact Light, AC filter....and ADA soil?

Thanks

CF

Comment

i like low-tech planted tanks. most would be suprised with the results.

Comment

Well, I will not be shooting for any awards with my tank, like I said, I'm just hoping to have something nice to look at and house a few fish and shrimp

CF

Comment

CF...ALMOST, it was actually a "kit" aquarium off of ebay.  it came with 24w PC light, glass tank, and a cheapo HOB filter.  All for $70.  I forgot to mention that ADA aquasoil is a MUST.  It will grown anything and everything.  If you want to cut corners somewhere else, thats fine but do not substitute the ADA soil.  It does wonders.
                        ADA mini-m planted
                        ADA mini-m riparium
                        ADA 30-C nano reef
                        ADA 90-P community Tanganyikan
                        ADA 120-p overflow Full reef in progress
                        Eheim 90cm SA biotope
                        110g Peacocks

Comment

Yeah, I really like its looks too....not fond of the cost, but I can get over it.... :)

CF

Comment

Originally posted by CichlidFan";p="
                            I appreciate all the tips and comments, I'll probably start up something in January.

I'll look back on this thread for reference material.

I don't really plan on using CO2, I just would like something pleasing to look at and stick a few nice pansy fish in and maybe a shrimp or two.

Thanks

CF
                            no co2???
                            its so easy! all you need is a diffuser ($10) a 2-liter coke bottle (1$) a packet of bakers yeast ($2) and some sugar($4). voila DIY co2

Comment

I've seen and read some already on those, I may get into that down the road apiece.

CF

Comment

Working...
                              X