feeding gar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• feeding gar

what do people who have gar in there aquariums feed them?  i now probably live food but do they eat pellets and stuff??

Re: feeding gar

probably feeder fish.

Did you purchase one?  If you did you should be prepared to get atleast a 75 gallon for it in the future.

Comment

Here is an idea of what they eat and how big they can get.

NOTE: This video is graphic

Alligator Gar

Comment

no i didnt buy one  and i do know what they eat in the wild.  but maybe i shoulda asked differently.  do people feed them pellets and stuff like that???

Comment

im sure you could.  Probably needs to be a high protein pellot though.

Comment

well the ones in the wild ive seen and fished for eat anything. lol

Comment

I've caught a couple on top water baits before, but they are actually quite difficult to catch. The 2 I have caught, they where both accidents.

CF
              Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

My Grandfather use to catch them in Buffalo Bayou all the time....good eatin if you know how to cook it!

As for the pellet thing you could try and starve it a little and then acclimate it to pellets....as for which pellets, I love NewLifeSpectrum! Probably go with the Lg.FishFormula.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

That video was FREAKIN' AWESOME! ...sorry folks--I'm kinda morbid... I love how he casually swam up and tried to catch it and if he didn't the first time, it was no big deal!

Rebekah

Comment

me and a friend use to go bow fishing for gar.  a friend of the family had some property with about a 30 acre lake on it.  really that big.  so big we use to put 2 ski boats in at same time and have no problems.  anyways, gar and beaver were ruining it.  river over flowed years ago and floaded his tank with gar and trash fish from the river.  so they were killin all him bass, and the beavers were damin up the creek out of the lake. so we use to go bowfishin at night.  it was fun.  shot some pretty big gar too.  if i can find the pics, ill post them.  well maybe not.  yall would probably get mad cause we killed fish. lol. but they did get eatin.  not by me but a friend took them.  as to eatin them,  that isnt a fish im wanna evan think about eatin. lol.  rebekah can have em.  ahha

Comment

wanna see a video.  here

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

I think thats the wrong link.  It was of a pirahna not a gar, which.

Speaking of pirahna, I wish they were legal cause I would love to have a colony of those bad boys. :rockon:

Comment

Originally posted by NDsuperduty";p="
                          I think thats the wrong link.  It was of a pirahna not a gar, which.

Speaking of pirahna, I wish they were legal cause I would love to have a colony of those bad boys. :rockon:
                          Just cause theyre illegal, dont mean you cant get them...

Comment

ya i know, but they are also hard to get.  I was going to get some in college, and did not have much luck.  But that may have just been getting them delivered to an apartment.

Maybe after I move I can look into it.  For now I will focus on fronts and new plecos

Comment

Originally posted by mrairportjunke";p="
                              no i didnt buy one  and i do know what they eat in the wild.  but maybe i shoulda asked differently.  do people feed them pellets and stuff like that???
                              My cousin had one and he fed it pellets.  It now lives in his mom's pool....don't ask.
                              Our Fishhouse
                              Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

Working...
                              X