No announcement yet.

Corys and Mollies and Kuhli's - Oh MY!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corys and Mollies and Kuhli's - Oh MY!!

Corydoras:  

About 12-14 albino Corydora fry: ~ 6 from eggs laid on Thanksgiving Day, and 6 from eggs laid 2 days later.  Many more eggs were laid, but I didn't plan for this and majority of eggs (85%) succumbed to fungus.  
    In the pic below, you can distinctly see eyes on 2 of the fry, but not on the 3rd.  3rd fry is from 2nd batch.

Mollies:

Black Sailfin Molly dropped 2 babies that I could see.  Either there were more who became breakfast or she did as is typical for her and really only dropped 2.  No Photo - they look just like mollies only smaller.

Kuhlii's:

Now this was a real shocker!  I lifted up the sponge filter where I first spotted the abovementioned Molly, to see if there were any more under it and this "thing" skittered out from under it.  Finally caught it.  I am thrilled to announce the addition of a baby Kuhlii to my aquatic menagerie!  Parents are the solid brown variety - and came from Petsmart, Petco or possibly even Walmart.  I guess they like their environment!
    The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
    Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Re: Corys and Mollies and Kuhli's - Oh MY!!

wow...that is sooooooooooooo cool
    5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
    20 sw cube - a few damsels and a colony of bristleworms
    29 fw - self cloning crayfish..which can't seem to clone haha
    29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
    29 fw - crs/ amano/tiger shrimp /assassins/ whiptails/ plants/ 3 emerald cories
    55 fw - steatocranus casaurius (20ish)/ tetras/ rainbows/large Jack Dempsey
    75 fw - large Jack Dempseys / pictus cat/ yoyo loach/ Red gippicep
    / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

8O  8O  WOW! Nice job! Not many people have reported Kuhli fry that I know of! (Actually, I don't know of anyone personally...!)

Congrats! Those cories are too cute.  
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

what sort of environment are the khulis in?

Comment

Wow...great news on your additions..Likewise I have never heard of Kuhli's breeding! Better record all the deatils of water parameters etc! Poeple are bound to ask!
          Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Comment

Good news!  I found something my babys seem to eat!  it's the Hikari first bites powder.  I wet my fingers, put a dab of the powder on them and mashed it into a pasty substance.  Put it in their baby tank and a few minutes later they were pecking at it!  Maybe they'll make it without vinegar eels and such after all  :).  

More good news!  I saw at least 2 more baby cories in the tank the eggs were laid in.  That's where I also relocated baby Kuhli (who I didn't look for - probably under the sponge.  The cories were pecking at the sponge filter - hopefully there's some nutritious food on it.  It's the aged filter that's always been in that tank, but rinsed when I pulled the grownups out of the tank although a super short tube replaced the standard one to deal with the water depth.  The water is only about 4" deep, since from what I've read, one of the important things is that the babies be able to gulp surface air to fill their bladders.  I doubt any stragglers from batch 2 made it - there are a pair of Kribs, some 1/2-3/4" baby mollies, and the cory parents in that tank.   I never pulled the grownups out, just was left "as-is".  If any did make it, the likely became a snack.

What would really be cool would be if I found a bunch of eggs from my dwarf cories, although I'm still amazed about the baby kuhli!
            The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
            Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

Congrats Spot! That is exciting!
              Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
              Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
              Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
              Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Working...
              X