BioMax in a planted tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BioMax in a planted tank?

I've heard that you shouldn't use BioMax in a planted tank. Is this true? What's the reason?

Re: BioMax in a planted tank?

Where did you hear that from? Maybe it's time to find advise somewhere else cause BioMax is just bio-media....which anything can become bio-media in your tank once it establishes.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Hmm...I'm with Ek. Where did you see that? I'm curious.

Like he said, it's just ceramic filter media, shouldn't be a problem at all.  :emtthumbs:
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

a dude at Petsmart mentioned it. I think he's on this forum, and i think his real life name is David.

He said something about how the media steals stuff that the plants could use.

or maybe i misunderstood him. Whoooo knows!

Comment

Might be Tiapan?

Comment

If it was him it might have been a misunderstanding somewhere....to give him the benefit of the doubt.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

yup, that's him.
              Like I said, i'm pretty sure he said it takes somthing away from the plants but I asked here to make sure i didnt misunderstand him. They guy is awesome and has given me great advice!

Comment

Bio-max does nothing but host bacteria....that bacteria turns ammonia to nitrites then to nitrates which any of the above is usable but the first two are harmful to fish/inverts.

Unless I'm missing something that is added to the Bio-Max its just ceramic type chunks.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Looked it up and the advertisement states it's inert ceramic......so it's just like any other bio-media....Tia-pan....wanna explain to us what is bad about bio-max?
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

well, i saw Tiapan at petsmart, and he confirmed!
                    I'm not crazy

Comment

Confirmed what? That inert pieces of ceramic is bad for planted tank?

Or beneficial bacteria which keeps the tank stable robs the plants?
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Can't believe he hasn't answered on here yet!  

I asked him about this post at our GHAC officers' meeting last week, and he said that he was talking about too much biological filtration in general converting all the ammonia to nitrate, and not leaving any ammonia for the plants. (Don't shoot the messenger!!)

Comment

Ammonia is bad for the inhabitants.....Nitrate is part of the Nitrogen cycle and plants use Nitrogen

Also the bio-filtration size is based upon it's inhabitants as well so if there is nothing there to feed it then it won't be "too much".

Inert Bio-media is just there to host beneficial bacteria....it's not beneficial bacteria...just a place for it to live if it were to move in. If that were the case you should not have any substrate in your tank and clean the glass and filters daily to rid it of any beneficial bacteria that will form.  
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Hey, don't shoot the messenger!! I was just paraphrasing what Tia-pet said.  :)

Comment

I wasn't directing it towards you MB, just ranting I guess.....just doesn't make much sense to me....
                              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                              X