Is this fungus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this fungus?

We found a few of our fish have these white puffs on them last night.  This was very new because we are constantly looking at our fish and didn't see it the day before.  I'm guessing it's a body fungus and ended up treating the entire tank with AP+ Anti-Fungus last night.  The reason we did the entire tank is because so many of the fish turned up with these white spots.  I've never had Ick, but I think it's too large to be Ick.  Some other info I'll share is that the tank is not aggressive at all.  Everyone is pretty passive and they all have their own little nooks so there is not any fighting for territories.  I'm not saying it couldn't be from fighting, but we haven't witnessed it if it is.

Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - 20

Also, no new fish have been introduced for a couple of months.  Here are a couple of pics.  I couldn't get the one who has it the worst to pose for the shot, but maybe this will be a good enough pic for someone to ID it.

And this one, if you look close you can see it on his gill.

Our Fishhouse
    Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Re: Is this fungus?

Forgot to mention that we ran out of aquarium salt last weekend, but plan on going up to FRII today to get some.  He's open on Sunday's right??  And we also removed the carbon from the filter before dosing the tank.  Just a little more info.
    Our Fishhouse

Comment

Since we didn't get any feedback on this, I wanted to share what we did to get rid of the problem.  We went to Charles at FRII.  

He hooked us up with Erythromyacin (he's got a really good selection of meds in the store right now), and after the first night, the spots were starting to go away!  We kept treating per Charles' instructions and they are all back to normal now!

Charles is a rockstar!
      Our Fishhouse

Comment

Did Charles have an idea as to what they were sick of or did he just suggest some meds that cover a broad spectrum of infections?
        Raul
        PokerFace

Comment

He wasn't sure exactly what is was...perhaps because of my bad verbal description.    But based on my description, he figured it was bacterial and the meds he recommended do cover most bacterial infections.  He was asking if it was cottony puffs or more like Ick.  We told him it was more cottony and for sure not Ick....too large to be Ick.  He said this is the medication he uses on his fish in the store when they have the cottony looking marks, and other ailments.  So, yeah, I think this covers a broad range of problems.  

To add to this, we got a couple of fish from my cousin who are in horrible shape, not even sure they'd make it.  (somehow we have become the fish rescue shelter - home for wayward fish)  8O  Their fins were all torn up and one had really clouded eyes, thought he must be blind it was so bad.  Anyway, we put them in the already medicated tank and overnight, they are both looking much better.  They were even eating yesterday, so this Erythromyacin is pretty great all around....IMHO.
          Our Fishhouse

Comment

Working...
          X